Controlling automatic updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Flexigav, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flexigav

Flexigav Registered Member

Is there a utility program for Windows that gives me control of when any installed applications or utilities can check for updates, including antivirus programs. I wish to stop this random background activity and it is very time consuming looking into every application to set these preferences!

2. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Use a firewall and block their connections.

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

It might take a little extra time up front to disable all the automatic updates, but once it's done it's done. You can also reconsider how important certain programs really are to you. If something constantly needs updating, what's the cost/benefit ratio.

I seem to remember hearing about software like you're looking for but can't remember specifics, someone else might know. You can set it to check all your programs for you and notify you if there's an update available. But even then, there's a lot of background activity.

I just disable all automatic updates and check periodically when I have time. 99.9% of the time updates aren't so critical they can't wait till I'm ready.

4. Flexigav

I did a new clean installation of Windows and some important applications used when online. These included the Firefox web browser and utilities to view or read the varying content online, plus some security programs. In all I found they all check for updates randomly, or at start up by default. I used to think priority was given to the user and the other background automation would not interfere! Now it seems many muscle in on user sessions as though they have priory and can't wait (by default)! So far I get Windows, Firefox, Adobe readers, Flash, Quicktime, the antivirus program and other system health check programs doing this and I haven't even installed any other applications yet! If only I could press one button that said "check for updates now" for all applications and utilities, or they all would look for a period of no keyboard/mouse, or other download and steaming activity in progress before they do their thing—by default!

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I prefer to do updates manually, it takes time to get them done but I feel more comfortable doing it that way.

Bo

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i disable automatic updates in all the program i use.
    like other people here i'd rather do this manually.

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

8. Flexigav

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately Windows is not the only program using this automatic online updates system! Updates are important, but seldom urgent, so I'm all for them and ensure I do them, it's just that I want control of when I do them and it seems that control is individual to each program you install, so it has become a tedious process—but less annoying than being made to wait or clear popups in the middle of online activity. Nearly missed an online auction when my system decided to prompt for permission to update some program, or froze on me momentarily from a back ground update such as an antivirus database update!

If only someone could produce a program that would intercept all these requests and put them in a cue waiting for the go ahead!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.