Controlling ActiveX

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by haname, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haname

haname Registered Member

I got SpywareBlaster in order to control the ActiveX issues, because there is one site that I want to be able to access. How do I control the item to allow it?

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Have u put this in your IE trusted sites?

snowbound

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Indeed, there are the IE security settings to consider first, then also you need to let us know if the site is/was functional with SpywareBlaster fully disabled, and again not usable at all when SpywareBlaster's protections are enabled.

To test this, you can open SpywareBlaster and disable all its protections as follows: Press the "Deselect All" button followed by the "Remove Protection for Unchecked Items" button. (See this image for more on this.) After removing protections close all browser windows and start up a new one and check that site again.

If the page works fine with the SB protections all off, and then fails again when you turn all the protections back on, then we'll need to determine which item in SpywareBlaster is blocking it.

Please note that the ActiveX protections in SpywareBlaster are not entered by site. They are added by the unique ID (CLSID) assigned to each ActiveX control. One bad ActiveX control could be used by hundreds or thousands of sites out on the web.

Edit: I just realised that you are the same person who asked about ActiveX blocks in SpywareBlaster yesterday in this thread:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=20284

Maybe you should tell us more specifically what you are looking for, the site involved, what happens with SB on and off, so we can advise you better.

4. haname

haname Registered Member

The site works with everything on. It seems to be related to when I permit Spyblaster S&D to run on startup. There is an item that Spyblaster doesn't fix, and it asks if it can run on startup. So I tell it yes, then when starting up the ActiveX control tries to install and causes the problem. Otherwise, it seems to work. The site is CBOT Streaming charts. The item that spybot won't fix is

NetSpy: System file C:\WINDOWS\System32\\CAPTUR~1.OCX

The CBOT site is capturing screens (they say as much in their privacy policy).

Today I also downloaded the latest IE security patches. But that didn't affect any of this.

Snowbound, I will put it on Trusted Sites.

Thanks as always for everyone's help.

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hold on a second. What product are you talking about? There are pieces of three different product names in the above. This forum is SpywareBlaster (not Spyblaster, which is totally different). SpywareBlaster does not have any "fix on startup" settings, so that is not SpywareBlaster you are talking about.

Spybot S&D... I'm not sure about restart options in it, but if you can post a screen image of the exact message you are seeing, we can probably look into that deeper.

Spyblaster is a tool by a company that may have questionable associations. Let us know if you have that installed.

When starting up? You mean when the PC boots, or when you open IE, or just access the site? Is there an image you can show us of the problem?

URL?

Ah, so it's Spybot S&D... Have you ever run a HijackThis Log? Perhaps there is something on your system we can advise you on to fix the underlying problem.

Info on HijackThis Log posting.

6. haname

haname Registered Member

I'm sorry, I did write spyblaster but mean spywareblaster. I don't have spyblaster. The fix on startup is done by Spybot S&D, if you give it permission. If it finds an item that it can't fix (it says it is running), it will ask if it can run on startup. Sorry about the confusion. So what I have is

Spybot S&D
    Spywareblaster

I have heard the warnings against spyblaster, so thanks for the reminder.

How do I make and post a screen image? But the problem isn't occuring at the moment, so I don't think I could do it anyway. If it happens again though, I would like to be able to do this.

What Spybot S&D was telling me was that it couldn't fix that one problem, and asking if it could run on the next startup -- the next reboot.

The URL for CBOT is:

http://www.cbot.com/cbot/pub/page1/1,3248,1072,00.html?oknew

They require registration to use, and they take personal information (name, address, phone number). It does use spyware, but you can't get this valuable information for nothing, so I'm willing to compromise on this for now.

I would like to find out exactly what it is capturing -- whether it captures all activity on any site one accesses, or if it only captures some things.

It seems that someone should be able to develop of program that shows you exactly what a spy is spying on, rather than simply that there is a spy.

I also have HijackThis and posted a log on another forum recently, like just the other day, it was said to be clean. If you like I can post one here for you to look at as well.

Thank you :)

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Slightly O/T (me, that is) -- but boy would that make a neat addition to the "Wish List". Knowing what the thing has accessed could be useful sometimes.

8. snowbound

haname,

Here is instructions on how to make and post a screenshot,

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5513

snowbound

9. haname

haname Registered Member

Hey, if they can watch my activity on my computer, why couldn't I watch their activity on MY computer?? I'm sure it can be done.

Please bear with me now as I test this image capturing thingie...

10. haname

haname Registered Member

very cool. Thanks for the help. moderator, please feel free to delete the mess I just made :doubt:

11. snowbound

If u want to test something, just go over to the test forum. ;)
    I will remove your screen image.

snowbound

12. aurelius

aurelius Registered Member

I also have a problem with this extremely persistent 'Netspy' that I want rid of ;)

Any ideas?

thanks in advance iain

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.