Contents of Protection panel Disappear?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Baldrick, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there

A strange one just happened to me re. PG3, just after I had upgraded to NIS2005, although I am not sure that the two events are linked (or atleast I cannot see why they would be).

Anyway, after rebooting at some point after the upgrade (and I mean a couple of hours after I had cleared out all NIS2004-related entries from the Protection & Security panels AND switched Learning mode back on) it noticed that although the System tray icon appeared if I hovered the cursor above it the caption was ProcessGuard initilizing and that went on for some 30 seconds whereas normally you don't even notice this. This happened a few times just after logging oon (my PC is 3 user) and when I eventually went to look at the setting I found that the contents of the Protection panel appeared to have disappeared (but those of the Security panel were still there). Yup............I was very o_O .

I made sure that the Global Protection options were on and then I ran an app that I knew would need to install a driver/service.......and sure enough I got an alert and I enabled the InstallDriver/Services option from the Alert panel. I then looked in the Protection panel and a I had an entry (interestingly enough numbered 1). At this point I decide to uninstall/reinstall Beta 2, which went very smoothly BUT after rebooting I noted that (i) it did not appear in Learning mode and (ii) the previous contents of the Protection panel had reappeared.......just like that. Yup.......you guessed it.......I was even more o_O than before.

Two hours on and all is well....so far. PG3 and NIS2005 seem to be behaving themselves. I don't know if this is of any use to anyone but you never know. Perhaps Jason may have any idea as to what happened?

Best regards

Baldrick

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

try to disable the software protection in the options included in Norton AV2005 which conflicts with PG, another user has solved his problems like this.

regards,

gkweb.

3. Baldrick

Hi gkweb

Thanks for responding. However, the options that yo are referring to in NIS2005 have already been turned off...........and I am still experiencing the problem.

I will have to look elsewhere. Perhaps it is due to one of the NIS2005 components that I added manually that is causing the problem? Dunno!

Regards

Baldrick

4. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

I have noticed this problem has well of PG displaying "initializing" for a long time at start, but only after to have played with the protection settings and by blocking vital system components (I even has to reboot in safe mode to delete my protection file ;)).
    However, if you didn't modify the default protection list, it should be something else.
    You can try (temporarly) to give everything every allowances ??

regards,

gkweb.

5. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

it could be that for some reason the GUI cannot connect quickly enough to the service upon starting and that it gives up (Jason stated he will give it more time to try to connect in the next release). And maybe - but i don't know for sure - the GUI gets the data to be displayed in the protection list from the service, not directly from the pguard.dat file. Then the GUI's protection list would remain empty although the pguard.dat file would contain all the settings (which would be found on a luckier day) - and even protection would be in place, for it is independent of the GUI.

just a guess,
    Andreas

6. Baldrick

Hi gkweb/andreas1 :D

Thanks for the responses. Having considered both I suspect that both may be involved as I have NIS2005, THGuard plus other starting at log on. I have therefore decided to tweak my Startup Delayer settings to push/delay less important start ups to later in the cycle and will see how that works. In terms of the systems components I have decided to leave Terminate privileges assigned to csrss.exe as it defaults to that and (fingers crossed) so far thngs seem OK. I have posted a suggestion about how the issue wit this extreme privilege could IMHO be ring fenced to prevent illicit use. Who know, it may not be the rantings on a wild person *puppy* but that is for the more technically capable of our 'brethern' to decide.

Best regards

Baldrick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.