constant Microsoft outgoing requests

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Shankle, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

I know I asked this type of question before and I looked for it and couldn't
    find it.
    I lost my HD and backup drive. So all my settings are gone.
    Using SS I have set the firewall to interactive mode.
    I am constantly being bombarded with requests by Windows and I guess
    Microsoft for an outgoing request. Why does Microsoft need all this information? The question is should I grant access for them? The thing is if I drag the request to the bottom of the screen and ignore it they keep on piling up and interfere with other functions I am running.
    Non of this nonsense happens in Ubuntu but it also has its quirks.
    Thanks for any help.

2. patch

patch Registered Member

Because Microsoft is spyware (targeted advertising, market research etc)
    Because Microsoft wants to protect their products copyright.
    Because Microsoft enhances their products with web based data (updates, templates, help files & support)
    Because the operating system runs system services enabling network connection, broadcast and discovery (depends on individual circumstances whether this is desirable or not).
    Because other programs use Microsoft services to access the internet.

The most important thing is you need to make a decision, that will prevent the questions building up. By this I mean choose remember -> make a rule.

What ever you choose you can reverse the decision later by editing or deleting the rule (Setup --> Personal firewall --> Configure rules and zones)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

With that in mind, block everything, even if it's not Microsoft. Simple rule: Block it, if it breaks, allow it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.