Constant HDD light activity on Vista

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TimaN, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

I have Vista Ultimate and my hard drive activity light is constantly lid and it's not even flickering. CPU usage is normal and everything seems to work fine but I can't figure out what's accessing my hard drive to make it loaded like that. It never occured with Win. XP. If anyone has knowledge about this, please share. :)

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Vista has so many "features", which could do it. I would guess indexing or superfetch.
    You can check disc activity via Task Manager - Performance - Resource Monitor - Disc.
    You can also try Process Monitor - uncheck process & registry monitoring, keep only file.

3. TimaN

TimaN Registered Member

Does anyone else have the same problem as mine?

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Does this happen when you reboot? or does it just stay solid, if it stays solid, then you have a conflict with a software which is trying to run, turn off UAC if its enabled and see what happens, usually if a software is trying to run, and UAC is preventing it, it will cause hard drive activity untill the application is terminated, If this happens after a reboot however, then its software that is trying to run at startup that is the offender.

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Does this happen when you reboot? or does it just stay solid, if it stays solid, then you have a conflict with a software which is trying to run, turn off UAC if its enabled and see what happens, usually if a software is trying to run, and UAC is preventing it, it will cause hard drive activity untill the application is terminated, If this happens after a reboot however, then its software that is trying to run at startup that is the offender.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.