Constant Accessing of Hard Drive

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Judge Dee, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks a lot
    may i ask a question ?
    how did you narrow and narrowed down the source, superfetch?
    i mean did you use some tools,software?

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but i found on my desktop and laptop (without all the ausus cra..) but only the
    necessary drivers ,ati and audio the same behavior

which version do you use of w7?

thanks

3. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

You're right about this, at least on my machine. I had disabled superfetch at the very beginning of the problems. It was not causing the problem.
    Thanks for the link. I had earlier found a similar one about Asus junk. I uninstalled all of it to no avail.
    I removed the AV.
    My computer was now more like an Apple IIe.
    I really liked Windows 7 a lot, but this stinking Asus of mine can't deal with it, so I just put on Linux for good.
    Many thanks.

4. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Just a Home Premium on Asus ul80vt. Actually in some ways it is faster than my desktop with 16gb ram - and Vista! Numbers don't necessarily mean a thing. Fire up that Process Monitor after you have disabled search indexing. And Avira for that matter. How is Windows Defender today? Can turn off even more, exclude away but monitor program will tell you regardless of how many processes. You should not really tweak 7 that much. If in doubt check this site http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-7/ avoids the worst nonsense and of course there are many annoyances and such.

If you have Asus you should still run through that forum and guides. Some things you might want to keep, other things you just think you have removed. Are you sure all drivers are updated? bios? bios settings are correct? Also possible there is an idiotic conflict with bios whatever and a driver whatever. Weird things happen with laptops but rule of using latest versions fixes most problems. What you can do. Weird stuff is hard to figure out by your self so check forums dealing with same brand/model. Avoid Google and magic tricks.

Superfetch on my laptop runs smooth. Benefits easily outweighs a bit of extra initial hd activity. More than I can say for Vista where it is turned off. Does work but is stupid like hammering huge video files. Not all the time but eventually superfetch will go in to a loop of stupidity. Brilliant idea that works fine on 7. All is scheduled and calculated so you cannot and should not change anything. Unless you can point to documentation from MS there are no registry tweaks, 0 as in zero, null. If you turn it off Windows still use all or most of all ram for caching, just without thinking too much about content. Hitrate will be lower and then you waste ram. On Vista even with 16gb of ram I sometimes notice that Vista has to start from scratch, like when opening control panel. Superfetch would have known that was a common task and made sure it was ready. I don't believe turning super fetch off is a solution that make sense, not on 7.

I have used 7 Ultimate on same computer that now runs Vista and though I am sure there are 100s of fixes and tweaks making 7 faster one of the the big ones is definitely better superfetch. Right before I downgraded to Vista I did a disk benchmark with Crystaldiskmark. With new updated Vista I did same test and it was 15% slower :) About the difference over all I think. 7 is smoother out of the box so don't break it because of irrelevant problems. Most likely that is the case.

Well Judge Dee there are a lot of noise on that forum but they also have all answers to problems. I spend most of an afternoon cleaning up my Asus of Asus crap - really not that straight forward. I was close to download a "free" iso. I would also use Linux or Ubuntu which is almost compatible. Almost being the keyword. When I have do go in to sudo mode to adjust brightness I know something is wrong ;) Worse because this model has 2 video cards so 2 problems! You have to be dedicated to go through that and 7 does work with no effort. For most at least.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  5. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

I opened up Task Manager and observed activity from 'svchost' for a few minutes, allowing it ample time to finish any start-up duties. A few minutes passed, and I started to notice a lot of disk activity via the LED on my desktop tower. I opened up Performance Monitor and saw that 'LocalSystemNetworkRestricted' was the source of the activity.

After some Googling I found out that Superfetch was the likely culprit in my situation, which it was.

I can't say much about the performance now, as I run 'Ubuntu' instead of Windows. But while I was using Windows I didn't notice a difference with Superfetch on/off. Although it may vary from computer-to-computer.

Hope that helps! :)

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

never used Performance Monitor , do you mean the built in utility in w7

ubuntu really rocks!
    sadly i can not run photoshop , i'm bought the cs2 years ago , and i upgrade
    it's the only reason that keep me stuck on windowzeo_O

thanks a lot

7. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Yes, the one included in W7.

Ubuntu does rock, and I'm in the same boat as you with Photoshop, only reason I hang on to Windows.

Glad everything is workin' better for you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.