Considering Outpost, opinions please

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by StevieO, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Been using ZA free in various flavours for years, mainly v4. and v5. with no problems etc. Very easy to get my head around it to configure/monitor etc.

Version 8 is not the same ! Only 50 show last log can be remembered on boot, it used to be 999.

Daily nag screen as per - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=247319

And a few other things too.

I've seen/read the tests on Matsosec, very impressed.

But on this Vista it's shared with others, so must be friendly as ZA's used to be.

I'm all ears,

TIA

2. Trailblazerman

Trailblazerman Registered Member

I tried a lot of the paid and free ones and settled on Outpost Lifetime license. The folks on this forum told me I would not be dissapointed and I have not been. However, I'm an advanced user. I'm not sure how it would be for a novice.

One thing that Outpost does that I wasn't really expecting is it does an excellent job of removing ads! And you know what, I don't miss them!

Edit: The IP Blocklist function is another tool I find very useful. It lets me know when I'm being stupid, like just a few minutes ago when I tried to download an update for a program that is apparently bad joo-joo. :)

You download the IP Blocklist updates here: http://www.calendarofupdates.com/up...odule=downloads&req=idx&cmd=viewdetail&f_id=3

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'd say you won't pick wrongly, if you decide for it.

Even for less advanced users, is not a headache. Two of my family members - casual users - have it running, and in advanced mode, but set to automatically create rules for well known and digitally signed applications. All it leaves are alerts for unknown processes.

This is what is wished, at least in my opinion, so that a piece of malware won't be allowed to do anything, or to mitigate any further problems it may cause.

4. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

I used ZA paid for at least 4 years.
    IMO they are still milking their past glory, being the "first free firewall".

I highly recommend testing the latest Outpost Free (based on personal experience of using Outpost Pro for almost a year), and also Online Armor Free (based on nothing but intuition :D ).

There is no good reason to be stuck with ZA Free currently.

5. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

In the end it is up to you. I suggest you install it and check whether it satisfies your needs. Mine are being satisfied.:)

Personally I like its rule editor, logging functionality and HIPS part. I think the interface is tidy and the controls easiliy accessible. The ad blocking module (web control) is very effective.

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

One more vote for Outpost. I have been using it now for several years after switching from ZA. I bought the lifetime license in January when they offered it for the cost of a one-year update. The lifetime license is a bit more expensive now ($59.95). It has several modules that can be turned off or left on (Hosts protection (HIPS), blocklist, etc.). The only one that is turned off on my PC is the anti-spyware which is turned off by default as I have Kaspersky AV and Prevx 3 running. You can still use the anti-spyware for on-demand scans (although it is not that good compared to A2, KAV, etc.).

7. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

IMO, ignoring possible stability issues, Outpost Pro is the best true firewall on the market today.

8. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Having used all the free ones, Outpost Free did impress me. The only issue I had with it was a slight delay at bootup. Other than that, it performed very well. I had the hips component up one level from the default. Very good selection overall.

Ice

9. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Registered Member

I am so impressed with Outpost Pro that I wouldn't even try another firewall! I have it installed on my two desktops and a laptop.

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Post recommending another firewall was removed. Any such posts are off topic in this thread. Only opinions about Outpost please.

Pete

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Is that ad blocking feature also available in the free version?

Thanks,
    Acadia

12. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

No, No page content filtering with free version.

--------------------------------------------------​

I like the free version. Very quiet HIPS even with full protection coverage (popups are easy to understand too).

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ok, thanks, keyboardC

Acadia

14. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I love the firewall, but I've had major trouble with it with AntiVir 9 Premium. Internet loss and system freezes.

15. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Steve, Outpost Free and Pro
    are outstanding choices with the few at the top
    of the list, I very highly suggest it...you wont be un-happy
    and with the great personal help you get at the forum you
    cannot go wrong...with a 30 day trial you can test drive it! :D

16. goranilic

goranilic Registered Member

Installed Outpost FW Pro 2009 3 days ago....so far it works PERFECTLY!!!:thumb:
    Very happy!!

17. Someone

Someone Registered Member

According to this review Outpost is very user-friendly, and is highly rated.

18. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Outpost is very user friendly, and if you use the improvenet feature, rarely you will see a pop-up.

Panagiotis

19. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

It's not so much what Outpost will do but what it won't.

With the exception of Privatefirewall, Outpost is the only one of the modern breed which I've used that hasn't eventually given me some sort of system problem. I don't use the spyware module but everything else is rock solid and once you get over the initial rules creation stage (didn't choose the auto method) then you won't know it's there. Good interface; readable logs with filter options; settings which don't change themselves when you're backs turned; no need to play "hunt the icon" at boot; passes lots of leak tests if you like them. Completely dependable - go for it.

20. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I've been using Outpost since early 2004. I have tried a lot of firewall products but I always come back to Outpost. The simplest reason I can come up with is the degree of control you have on application rules and it's logs. The rest is just icing on the cake.

I recommend it to everyone who ask. As for ease of use, I have a friend who turns his computer one once a day to check email and occasionally looks things up on the web. He is no expert. His computer came with a suite, he used that for awhile until it started causing problems. He then moved on to another suite, which also started to cause problems. He asked me for my recommendation. I told him about Outpost Security Suite; which at the time offered a lifetime license. He went with it, he is happy now. All is working fine. He did have one problem with installing, but that was caused by left overs from the last suite that was installed. After cleaning that up, all went fine.

As for me, I decided to drop my other anti-products and use Outpost Security Suite exclusively. I have been using OSS for better than a year now and am extremely satisfied with it.

21. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Well that all sounds very positive !

So on that basis, i think i might install it possibly sometime over the weekend, and see how it goes.

Thanx to everyone for your comments etc.

Regards,

S

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

You procrastinated too long. They had a lifetime deal on Outpost Pro firewall for $59.95 until yesterday. o_O

23. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

According to their web site its still on
    http://www.agnitum.com/lp/summer2009n2.php

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

25. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

But what year o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.