considering buying eset , does it do what i want?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by shahsmerdis, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shahsmerdis

shahsmerdis Registered Member

Hi,
    im a college student living on a very large campus network, im sick of running around with my flash drive and i want to be able to connect to my home computer through windows file sharing service or some sort of version like that. I have looked into FTP but its not as clean and when access the files, i want to be able to use windows directory system to be able to access it. So what i have set up now is allowing only my IP to connect and have RDP/file sharing privileges through Eset smart security. However,I don't have a static IP... i saw something in the help section and firewall section of Eset authentication service. This might be what i needed but i need a bit more documentation on it... Or are there any neat ways of allowing only my laptop to connect to home PC... Or is there perhaps a smart way of access it with only my user name and password and have it brute force protection as well with it?

please let me know as i will gladly purchase the software if it solves my issue. Or if you guys know of anything that windows or any other software that will solve my problem i would greatly appreciate it.
    -b

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The ESET Authentication Server is just one of the options how to recognize a trusted zone. When a new network is detected you are prompted whether to consider it trusted or not. ESS automatically determines the most appropriate network parameter (e.g. the DNS suffix as well as the IP address of the DHCP server) which will authenticate the zone. All parameters can be customized and you can select other ones that are more appropriate in your environment. When the computer connects to a network that fulfills all the specified criteria, it will be treated as trusted.

I'd suggest that you apply for a trial version of ESET Smart Security here and try it yourself. Should you have any questions, feel free to ask here.

3. shahsmerdis

Well the network would be the campus network, and i don't want everyone on the campus to be able to connect. Since i don't have a static IP, i just want select computers to be able to connect. Any ideas? i do have free trial on both.

4. shahsmerdis

can i allow by DNS host name?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.