Connections Tab in IE Options?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rilla927, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hello,

I came across something really strange when I wanted change an option Connections tab. The apply button is greyed out and it says to never dial a connection. How can I get this back to normal?

I have been having sites not loading then I have to hit the refresh page and sometimes they do.

Attached Files:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The "never dial a connection" is only relevant if you need to configure a proxy setting. To get the apply button non greyed out you would have to add a connection or change one through setup.

3. Rilla927

Hi BigC,

I think proxomitron was the culprit then, it makes sense now.

I will try adding a connection, hopefully that works.

You are awesome BigC, thanks. I was really panicing.

4. bigc73542

Thats why we are here, to be of assistance if we possibly can. I am pleased if I was able to help.

bigc

5. Rilla927

BigC I need your assistance please. I have never had to set up a connection this way. As far as that went was installing windows and it was detected. I have Roadrunner'd hi-speed connection.

I have been playing around with these settings but nothing has worked. Here are the options I have, if I choose option 1 you have option to setup the connection manually or use CD from ISP which I don't have, or choose from a list of ISP's and MSN is the only one in the list.

I have also tried option 3, setup a home or small office network and it hasn't worked.

Attached Files:

6. bigc73542

It has been a long time since I have setup a connection that way. Did you try useing the lan setting button on the bottom of internet properties instead of trying to setup a dialup connection since I believe you said you have high speed from Roadrunner.? Just to be sure here, did you say that you were running XP or Vista??

7. Rilla927

Yes I have XP with hi-speed from Roadrunner.

Here are the lan settings you are talking about.

Attached Files:

8. bigc73542

I am getting a little confused, exactly what is it you are wanting to do. You seem to have an internet connection that works so am I missing something. I want to be of assistance but I want to make sure we are on the same page so to speak so I don't give you any info that might not be what you need.

9. bigc73542

Now if the reason you want a new connection is because on some web pages you have to refresh some time to get them to load? A new connection is not going to fix that. You are probably experiencing a browser or firewall issues.

10. Rilla927

Okay, I just so happen to go into the connections tab yesterday to make a change and I realized something was wrong cuz normally there is the default connection showing in Internet options and it said "Never dial a connection" which it's never set to, and the apply button is missing. It's stuck on these settings and I can't make any changes.

I have online Armor and have no issues with the FW. I'm always checking the logs.

Now I know what happened, it was Proxomitron that used these settings.

11. bigc73542

All of the security software we use nowdays can and does cause us grief sometimes:(

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Your settings are fine. The option of "dial whenever a network connection isn't present" was used in the times of dial-up. When you clicked the IE icon, it called your default dial-up connection.
    You have the correct settings for broadband Internet. You'll have to add a dial-up/VPN connection if you want to change from "Never dial a connection" to the other two options.

13. Rilla927

I decided to just leave it a lone, but thanks for confirming it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.