Connections Tab in IE Options?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rilla927, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hello,

I came across something really strange when I wanted change an option Connections tab. The apply button is greyed out and it says to never dial a connection. How can I get this back to normal?

I have been having sites not loading then I have to hit the refresh page and sometimes they do.

Attached Files:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The "never dial a connection" is only relevant if you need to configure a proxy setting. To get the apply button non greyed out you would have to add a connection or change one through setup.

3. Rilla927

Hi BigC,

I think proxomitron was the culprit then, it makes sense now.

I will try adding a connection, hopefully that works.

You are awesome BigC, thanks. I was really panicing.

4. bigc73542

Thats why we are here, to be of assistance if we possibly can. I am pleased if I was able to help.

bigc

5. Rilla927

BigC I need your assistance please. I have never had to set up a connection this way. As far as that went was installing windows and it was detected. I have Roadrunner'd hi-speed connection.

I have been playing around with these settings but nothing has worked. Here are the options I have, if I choose option 1 you have option to setup the connection manually or use CD from ISP which I don't have, or choose from a list of ISP's and MSN is the only one in the list.

I have also tried option 3, setup a home or small office network and it hasn't worked.

Attached Files:

6. bigc73542

It has been a long time since I have setup a connection that way. Did you try useing the lan setting button on the bottom of internet properties instead of trying to setup a dialup connection since I believe you said you have high speed from Roadrunner.? Just to be sure here, did you say that you were running XP or Vista??

7. Rilla927

Yes I have XP with hi-speed from Roadrunner.

Here are the lan settings you are talking about.

Attached Files:

8. bigc73542

I am getting a little confused, exactly what is it you are wanting to do. You seem to have an internet connection that works so am I missing something. I want to be of assistance but I want to make sure we are on the same page so to speak so I don't give you any info that might not be what you need.

9. bigc73542

Now if the reason you want a new connection is because on some web pages you have to refresh some time to get them to load? A new connection is not going to fix that. You are probably experiencing a browser or firewall issues.

10. Rilla927

Okay, I just so happen to go into the connections tab yesterday to make a change and I realized something was wrong cuz normally there is the default connection showing in Internet options and it said "Never dial a connection" which it's never set to, and the apply button is missing. It's stuck on these settings and I can't make any changes.

I have online Armor and have no issues with the FW. I'm always checking the logs.

Now I know what happened, it was Proxomitron that used these settings.

11. bigc73542

All of the security software we use nowdays can and does cause us grief sometimes:(

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Your settings are fine. The option of "dial whenever a network connection isn't present" was used in the times of dial-up. When you clicked the IE icon, it called your default dial-up connection.
    You have the correct settings for broadband Internet. You'll have to add a dial-up/VPN connection if you want to change from "Never dial a connection" to the other two options.

13. Rilla927

I decided to just leave it a lone, but thanks for confirming it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.