Connection to BOOTPC

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

I just reinstalled Win7/64. Have not done this in a long time. I saw a in/out BOOTPC connection wanting to be made. I don't remember this being done in the past. I am thinking most likely it may have been. I didn't think BOOTPC was still used. UDP so not too concerned. Out connection to 255.255.255.255. If it is all legit would that connection be made only once? If so I am thinking I now can block it and forget about it....right?

2. Rainwalker

Still unsure about thus. I thought BootPC/BootPS was a protocol no longer used. I had no firewall requests in the past to allow or not. After this reinstall I am needing to allow it otherwise I keep losing connection. I am only allowing inbound. What might be going ono_O

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Bootstrap protocol. It's very much used for DHCP :)
    In and out by UDP between client BOOTPS port 68 and remote (router...) BOOTPC port 67. Allow it.
    Yes, disabling likely will lose connetion.
    I recall reading that if everything has static IPs, DHCP service won't be needed, but never went as far as disabling it.

Out to 255.255.255.255 is broadcast to get IP. Legitimate.

4. Rainwalker

Ok..Thanks act8192. As I wrote, it seemed strange. I have not seen the request and many years. This is a 'standalone' computer and I usually run with all online svchost blocked until I need updates. That ain't happening now :( Maybe something to do with some win updateso_O Any thoughts?

5. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

No idea. Except this: check your Network devices in Windows7. It could be that you never had assign IP automatically, and reinstallation put it back. I had something like that happen on the wifi adapter once when M$ changed some TCP settings on reinstallation.
    Start with "ipconfig /all" in cmd and go from there.

6. Rainwalker

Network looks fine, but then again I am allowing inbound only now. I will look at this later and check network again. You have given me an idea as what it MIGHT be. I have always had IP assign automatically, but who knows....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.