connection acquiring network address

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by the mul, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

sp2 and connection acquiring network address

I was just wondering what this meant acquiring network address.
    I have installed service pack 2 and all is running well and stable, the only thing I have noticed is when I boot up and all items have loaded up a small icon appears in the notification area next to my other icons and says acquiring network address, after this my internet or adsl connection say It is connected, It only takes about 10 seconds, Is this normal or is there a box to check.
    I have only noticed my connection needing network address since installing service pack 2, but as I stated all is well and stable with my system and sp2, after my connection has established Its network address all is well and there are no problem at all, It is only when u switch of the pc and then start it up. It asks for the network address and takes about 10 seconds then u can surf the net for hours or days without any problems at all.
    Just wondering what this means and I do know that microsoft have tightened up there security settings and connections with sp2.
    Does anyone else notice this with there connection.
    I would like to know is there a way of adding or saving the network address, so that my connection does not need to acquire it at when windows has booted up.

Ps I have disabled windows security centre and firewall as I have my own
    firewall.

THE MUL

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello The Mul,

What type connection? Adsl or dialup?

3. the mul

I have an usb adsl modem connected to aol 9, as I have said ronjor my friend just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with sp2.
    All is running well, but would like to see if I can add this network address to some where in my settings, so that It does not need to acquire this network address each time windows has booted up.

THE MUL

4. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Hello Mul,
    I have also noticed this occuring sometimes
    since i have upgraded to sp2
    seems to only happen in my area when comcast becomes un-stable
    and i lose my connection for some reason or another
    and this icon appears mysteriously.
    will let you know if i find more out about it

5. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

It's a new "improvement" with SP2 which does make it easier to determine network problems

if you have a cable always on connection, unless you reboot your cable modem you won't see the message, but using adsl with an USB modem which always has to regenotiate connections every time you boot up you will get it

Don't worry about iot

it used to happen pre SP2 but you never saw it happening

6. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

7. the mul

Many Thanks for the help, yes u are quite correct derek, I did not see this until sp2 was installed, but this only happens when I reboot my system and then It only about 10 seconds to establish my network address and then all is ok, sp2 is running very stable on my system at the moment.
    At least It is something that other people are experiencing and not just me.
    I suppose like others, u will get used to the 10 second wait until the address is acquired.

Your friend

THE MUL :D

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Guess that covers that eh Mul? :D :D

9. the mul

Yes, I suppose that sorts out the problem, many thanks to all my friends, It is always appreciated and this is why I love wilders.

Your friend

:D:D THE MUL :D :D

10. KennyBoy

KennyBoy Guest

Uh, no. I have this problem on 2 PCs running WinXP SP2. One has a wireless 802.11b connecting to my WAP/Router, the other is wired with CAT5 directly to the router.

Both computers obtain an IP address through DHCP and that is what this icon represents. The problem I have is both PCs have IP addresses and the icon is still there.

If I change either to a static IP, the icon goes away. Basically, DHCP is'nt telling the icon to go away once it gets and IP address.

My question is, "How do you turn this crap off?"

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.