Congratulations to ESET TEcH SUPPORT!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Great Tech support, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. They best most responsive, the most responsible tech support ever.

BLAH!!!!

If you pay for 1 year subs. you don't want your tech support to have a weekend off! You don't! You have to work and now I have an NOD32 on my client system which has to BE TURNED OFF in order to make it functional due to the constant FALSE POSITIVE we are getting. Yeah 5 e-mails latter (since yesterday) and still no reply nor a cure. Thank you I had to install KAV 5 on the system (30 day trial) in order to secure it (now that NOD32 is off). VERY VERY VERY VERY ANNOYED CUSTOMER!

Great job you lost another one!

Heuritics my azz! I dont care that it can detect a BAGLE worm by Heuritics, since I practice safe computing...and here I am just doing a def update and haveing a REGULAR nomral def update screw up my system more then any BAGLE would! So why do I need Heuritics if a regular update will destroy a working system! Who needs viruses when Anti-Viruses do the job of a virus.!

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Hi
    From the thread title I thought you were this months lucky one(the one the support responded to!!)

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Great Tech support,

Forgive the simple question, but if you have what you feel is a known and constant false positive, why not exercise an exclusion? It's what I do with every other AV I've owned in this situation, and at various times they've all behaved in a similar fashion.

Blue

4. Oh yeah WERE doing that except whenever a new part of the disk was accessed and the real time scanner scanned over the folder we got yet another False positive. We were doing the Exclusion up to about 30th exclusion and it gets quite annoying especially when you are running a presentation! The last thing you want during a high level presentation is a window that constantly boots you out of your PowerPoint in order to show the whole comittie that you have been infected (but in reality you are not). (we use the rar a lot in our labs). Then during the presentation when asked for specific files from the network you have to explain to the assembly that your PC is not infected and that you can safely browse the network and safey VPN to the company....while being given doubtful stares (as I was explaning that and moveing to the next slide on my other drive I GOT the INFECTED message again!). My coworkers seeing that decided to just abandon NOD32. GREAT JOB! Right now we are looking into another AV solution. So far some of us are testing out KAV while others BitDefender.

I know that AV give false positives but at least THE OTHER COMPANIES RESPOND within a few hours and AT MOST offer the fix on the next day. IT"S BEEN TWO DAYS and NO E-MAIL nor a fix. I am sorry but a global industry does not take a weekend off, I want a company that is responsible enough to be there during a WEEKEND and/or a HOLIDAY! We don't have a WEEKEND off we have to work so should they. Especially that YOU paid them to have a working product.

5. BlueZannetti

Great Tech support,

I guess you pull these things together a little differently than I do - and yes - I do it frequently in high level internal and external presentations, actually I'm doing it now

Needless to say, getting that type of warning would be unfortunate under the circumstances.

That said, in a typical Powerpoint session, it is usually worthwhile to have hyperlinked content segregated to a single location for relative addressing, lest you pass on the presentation devoid of a large fraction of the content. This strategy does render exclusions effective. Even with a completely hyperlinked project work history, I've never had a presentation and background support on-line material exceed 0.5 GB - which is easily stuffed onto a CD or USB thumb drive. I've never had occasion to rar these types of things, so I guess that I haven't seen some of the issues you appear to be facing.

Sorry to hear the situation hasn't worked well for you.

Blue

6. arrowsmithmidwest

arrowsmithmidwest Registered Member

every time i have called Tech support i have received it.
    Every time i have emailed tech support i have had a reply.

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well of course you have! You are in Australia! That is why.:D

Not necessarily the case in other countries.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Yes, we are very fortunate to have Rod at the helm :D

Cheers :D

9. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

The fact is it shouldn't matter where you live!

10. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I have to agree, in this modern age of telecommunications and the internet, I see no reason why someone's issue from Zimbabwe couldn't be handled as propmtly as some down the street. Location SHOULD have no bearing in a support request.

11. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hello Great Tech support,

would be nice if you would register yourself on this forum, if possible. We could discuss this.

Rgds.,

jan

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Jan

Probably not going to happen if you know what I mean! :)

13. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

My 2 cents... I think people should be allowed to view the posts, but not post anything without registering. I wonder what fp he is complaining about. What OS are you using? Little more description would help. I will have to agree with Ron.

14. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I think he is talking about this weekends IRC/SdBot.AIG trojan fp that only seemed to affect a few of us. And I agree with both you.

15. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

Now would you post something like that without giving any information? Something about his scenario seems far fetched. There has been updates on the weekend so someone must be working on the weekend.

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't know if Great Tech support has a legitimate issue or not. I have observed though that, while Eset does issue updates sometimes on weekends, they don't answer tech support email on the weekends. Or perhaps, I should say they answer only what they feel is urgent? If "urgency" is the criteria applied by Eset to decide what support requests get answered on the weekends and which wait until Monday, well that can be a bit hairy as what the user considers "urgent" may not seem to be so by Eset.

It would be ideal if Eset answered all tech support mail on the weekend but that probably requires more staffing and why Eset hasn't increased their staffing to meet this demand is not something I would know. My questions to tech support have been such that waiting over the weekend (the times this has happened) was not a big thing. However, I do get upset when Eset takes two weeks vacation at Christmas and ignores everyone.

17. Blackspear

How Eset have chosen to sell their product is through Distributors in each Country, and then through the distributors each appoints resellers, thus you are supposed to purchase locally for local support. I would assume that the price given to the Distributor takes into account the local support scenario.

I agree.

With all businesses you have to manage growth, grow to quick and you will fail, don't grow quick enough and you will fail, it is a real balancing act...

Just my $1.00 worth, 2 cents gets you nothing any more :rolleyes: :D

Last edited: Jul 20, 2004
  18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

But it doesn't appear to work that way in all countries. In the US, when I send an email to tech support , it travels what appears to be a very convoluted route. It goes first to the USA office, then they forward it to support which then forwards it to owners.eset.sk which then forwards it to support.eset.sk. The initial reply also follows this convoluted route in return to me. The only time the USA office gets involved other than shunting the email all about, is later when I get a survey request about the tech support that comes directly from the USA office. If more than one email exchange is required to solve the problem, subsequent emails do not follow such a convoluted route. They come and go directly between me and support.eset.sk and the specific tech helping me.

So, it seems to me that the USA office provides no email support and phone support is not on an 800 toll free number but instead incurs long distance charges during the most expensive calling time periods thus most users would not use phone support unless their situation was urgent and grave. I know that Rod is very big on phone support and doesn't like email support as he thinks that is too cumbersome and time consuming given the limitations on that type of communication. It appears that each country's distributer decides how to handle tech support or even if to not have any tech support and refer all requests to Eset.

As NOD32 grows, I think this whole system should be looked at and perhaps changed so there is more uniformity.

19. BlueZannetti

Nor do I. I do know that it's a guest posting about an undefined false positive on an undescribed system under circumstances that are, frankly, difficult to fathom. I'd be a little more comfortable if Great Tech support took the time to become a registered user and to describe the precise problem faced and the specific symptoms involved. Afterall, this is a support forum. But the support provided - and this is true anywhere - depends greatly on the extent to which a problem is defined. Generalities may be great for venting, but do little to resolve the underlying problem.

Blue

20. Blackspear

I've seen ants use a more direct route ;)

It could be this way that every link in the chain gets to learn the answer to a given problem, and thus tech support is not so burdened in the long run...

I think, given that it is experiencing rapid growth, new systems will be tried and implimented... and this is just part of the journey...

21. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The requests from US users go directly to the US department. Other requests from Europe are routed to our Slovak office and there's nothing else in between.

22. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

There is something called first line tech support - it is local
    There is something called second line tech support.
    And there is third line tech support provided by ESET itself.

23. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What US department? At the Slovak office? I have never had any tech support from the US office located in the US so is the US department located where?

24. Blackspear

ROFLMAO oh I like you Mele20

Nicely said :D

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Ahh..this makes more sense than Marcos's reply. Gee :) guess I have bad problems. ::D I have always had my tech support provided by Eset itself. So, you are saying that if local tech cannot answer the problem, then second line (wherever that is...is that in the USA also?) can't answer, then it finally goes to Eset? That seems reasonable...I think. Or convoluted? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.