Congratulations! It's an Alpha! Namoroka (Firefox) 3.6

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by prius04, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

2. prius04

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Haven't tried this, but since it's branched off the trunk builds lately (which have been buggy as hell), I'd advise staying away for now.

4. prius04

Yes, I would only recommend it for testing purposes (same as the Chromium dev builds). Regardless, this release *is* significant considering Mozilla's (rather ambitious) schedule for the release of Fx v3.6:

Beta 1 (early September 2009)
    * all UI iteration pieces landed
    * string-complete for localization

Beta 2 (late September 2009)
    * polish release
    * all major stabilization issues resolved
    * final API changes for add-on developers

Release Candidate (mid/late October 2009)
    * aiming at final release for November 2009

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

I'm running the Portable version, on a cheapo Micro Center 4 GB USB drive as I always do, and can't believe how fast it is!

Installed AdBlock Plus & NoScript and didn't have to wait an eternity for the browser to restart, like the 3.5 version does on the same USB stick.

So far, all my bookmarked Web sites are rendering as they should. Can't wait for the final product! :thumb:

6. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

It is indeed very fast. OT: Today i disabled both the Adblock+ and WOT addons and guess what those two addons were slowin down websites very noticeable. I left Noscript because it seems to make loading webpages faster because of the javascript blocking.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

rolarocka, out of curiosity, do you subscribe to any of the lists available to AdBlock Plus? :doubt: I can see where WOT would slow down a site.

I don't subscribe to lists and perhaps that's why my Namoroka runs blazing fast with both add-ons.

8. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Ah yes i subscribe to the one from dr. evil. I didnt know that adblock+ would block anything without filterlists. The funny thing is that the noscript addon blocks nearly all ads on the web-pages i use often. Thats also one of the reasons i uninstalled adblock+ and im very surprised with the speed gain. WOT needs to check every website with its database resulting in not so fast responses and since i nearly never go to fishy sites i don't need it. I normally use Opera and never understand why folks keep sayin firefox is fast. Yes firefox is fast and gets faster with every release but dont mess up the speed with unnecessary addons and themes. I also uninstalled a lot of themes i never used and now Firefox starts fast like Opera. Less is more :thumb:
    Btw. im using this theme and it rocks :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
  9. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

10. prius04

That's what I've been using. Not only does it appear not to slow down the loading of pages, they actually appear to load faster with ABP and the subscription. At least pages with a lot of ads seem to load slower when I disable ABP.

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

prius04, I agree with you. I added EasyList to my Namoroka's ABP and no slowdown at all! Mind you, I'm using this version on a cheapo USB drive, which is notoriously slow, and it really rocks. Very much impressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.