Congratulations Acronis !

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Old Monk, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

By the very nature of it being a support forum, most of the posts here will be from people with issues/complaints so I thought I'd post my positive experience.

The other day, and not for the first time I have to admit :oops: , I noticed I'd been on line without any protection at all for a while.

Other silver surfers with memory lapses might know the scenario - download an app (Counterspy - but thats a whole new issue), app suggests good practice to close all other apps whlile installing which obedient silver surfer duly does, app wants to update itself, silver surfer duly dials up, forgetting it's closed all other apps and bingo silver surfer sitting on the internet exposed to the world as the day they were born :ouch:

Anyway, what to do, trust to luck, reformat (two years ago I would have), or scan, scan, scan. No, I had a free version of True Image V8 with a couple of recent images in the Secure Zone but no real confidence it would actually work. I'd never restored an image before.

What a result - 17 mins and TI has restored my entire C drive, OS, everything and it works perfectly.

I know this is old hat to some of you, but for me I just think it is brilliant it can do that and for me when funds allow, I for sure will be getting the full version.

Just one question though - is the Secure Zone impregnable from infection ?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

alsome and I have acronis true image 9 and it is good but i have never had to restore yet because my pc still works lol.

version 10 has just come out.

also sorry if im hijacking your thread but is the upgrade from 9 to 10 worth it? and what do I get extra?

I have always thought its better to put the backup's on a seprate hardware eiether external or extra internal drive. if you only have one harddrive and it goes then your stuffed i got an external mactor one touch 111 for this and i think its worth the money so if the internal hard drive goes you can install new harddrive boot from cd and restore image right to new hard drive with no reinstall.

lodore

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

“is the Secure Zone impregnable from infection ?”
    Less impregnable perhaps.
    Totally … hmmmm …
    I’ve seen on this very forum the method to make the ASZ “see-able” (I’m sure that’s a word), so with a little work … I wouldn’t count on it!

4. Old Monk

No problem lodore - it was only a thread of support with no real questions other than that related to the Secure Zone.

Thats a tad disconcerting. I'm sure I'd read here somewhere that it couldn't be compromised. If that is the case then it's a bit of a waste of time and the only good back up stategy would be to another hard disk.

Anyone else care to comment on the Secure Zone's vulnerability or otherwise ?

5. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

6. Old Monk

Thanks The Weaz

I'll give that a good look over in the morning.

7. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi Old Monk,

The short answer is no. Its a bit like adding all the best security devices to your home. It doesn't guarantee a thing. But it certainly deters and reduces the risk.

Partitions are attributed a code so that an OS can easily determine how to interpret the format of the filesystem on them. What happens with the SZ is that it is allocated a code which does not represent any known filesystem so it gets ignored by the OS as far as normal programs are concerned.

It would take some poor sad individual to write some infectious code which sought out the Acronis Secure Zone partitions specifically, in order to damage its files. Unlikely, but possible.

F.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Download the trial and see for yourself. For me, the managed backups, with autonaming and file limits are worth it. But you have to decide for yourself and with ATI you can, at no charge except for your time.

9. sarutaro

sarutaro Registered Member

Where did you get the free vesion of TI V8. I would like to have one for my other computer. Thank you. Sarutaro

10. Old Monk

Hi Sarutaro

Got it on a freebie disk some time ago from a UK PC Mag.

Sorry I couldn't help you there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.