Confusion with msmsgs.exe & explorer.exe global hooks

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by What..MeWorry, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What..MeWorry

What..MeWorry Registered Member

Hi all. I have the full version of Process Guard v. 3.150 installed using Windows XP SP2. I did a clean install several days ago and have done some surfing on the web and have only downloaded one program but have not executed it yet, in addition I do not use any resident E-mail client software as I use my ISP's e-mail server.

At any rate Process Guard's system tray balloon keeps alerting me from time to time; "msmsgs.exe was blocked from creating a low level keyboard hook", "msmsgs.exe was blocked from creating a low level mouse hook" and "explorer.exe was blocked from creating a global MSGFilter hook". Now I do realize that explorer is a key part of Windows and the msmsgs.exe is probably linked to MSN Messenger (which i do not use at all). As you can probably see that I have all global protection options checked. Should I allow the msmsgs.exe and the explorer.exe permission to use global hooks or is it possible that there is some other process that is masquerading as msmsgs.exe and explorer.exe trying to gain illicit control to parts of my OS?
    In additon to Process Guard I also use TDS-3 (full version with exec. prot. running), Zone Alarm Pro 5.5 (full version), I am switching between Norton AV 2005 and NOD32 latest version to see which one i will buy ( I previously was using Norton Internet Security 2004 which lately has caused me alot of headaches so I switched to ZA) & Ewido (trial ver still in plus mode) I am using Ewido at the moment as my spyware guard till I can figure out what spyware to permantly use.
    Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  2. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Hi, in relation to msgsys.exe, it's not needed on your comp, and there are some vulnerabilities in relation to it (can't remember what exectly). I have PG set to 'deny always' for msgsys.exe, and my system runs fine without it.

Not sure about the global hooks, my explorer.exe was allowed them when I installed PG in learning mode on a clean system also. I would suggest you just Deny Always msgsys.exe and see if the issue goes away.

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi What..MeWorry, Go to this site http://www.firewallleaktester.com/wwdc.htm and run GKweb's WWDC utility.

This will kill the messenger for you and a few other unnecessary services.

Regarding global hooks, I would suggest denying them and then waiting to see if you lose any functionality, Explorer probably wants to allow global hooks for things such as mouse gestures. Personally if the program is on my protected list and trusted then I would probably allow global hooks, explorer is allowed global hooks on my PCs.

HTH Pilli

4. cosmicvoid

cosmicvoid Registered Member

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

even something small can use global hooks.; My screen shot utility (hoversnap)uses global hooks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.