Confusion over versions

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by Acadia, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I'm confused by the versions offered at the Returnil website. I basically am only interested in the Virtual Mode, don't care about anti-Virus, cloud stuff, etc. But I do want to be able to save the changes to some files whenever I reboot out of virtual mode.

What is the cheapest version that will allow me to surf virtually and allow me to save things?

Thank you,
    Acadia

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, Coldmoon. I was over at the Returnil website and was surprised to see that some sort of snapshot restore has been added to the more expensive version; its been a couple of years since I seriously looked at your products.

Now I've got two questions:
    The virtual mode, where does it store the temporary changes? Does it use a special file contained in the c:drive or does it created another hidden partition on the primary drive?

Same thing with the version that has the snapshot restore feature, where are the Snapshots stored?

Thanks again, must admit I like the changes to Returnil. Oh, yeah, one more thing, if I get the more expensive version so I can make use of the Snapshot restore, can I keep the anti-Virus and cloud stuff turned off?

Thanks again,
    Acadia

4. Coldmoon

The changes are tracked in two places: Memory and Disk. Though this may seem redundant as Memory = RAM + Disk, but is actually a combination of the old methods in RVS 2008 to create a dynamic cache.

Once the changes become too large for the Memory portion, they are moved out to the available free space on the disk. No hidden file or special partition, just the free space available at the time.

The RMS Utility uses the same virtualization tech in RVS/RSS to create, store, and track snapshots.

Of course.

Mike

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Coldmoon, if I go with a Returnil product it would probably be the one that you originally recommend to me, Returnil Virtual System Pro 2011; I think that I want to wait until Returnil gets the future multi-snapshot feature a little bit more developed.

Two things, one I think I understand. I downloaded the pdf manual for this product, read it, and want to make sure. I don't plan on using your product full time so it will still eventually need defragging. As I understand it, I can go ahead and defrag as long as I am not in virtual mode, is this correct?

Second and for me more important is the possible issue with mirror imaging programs. Do you know of any conflicts with ShadowProtect? I do not use any of ShadowProtect's incremental features. Would you recommend uninstalling SP before installing Returnil, then reinstalling SP?

Thanks again,
    Acadia

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  6. Coldmoon

Yes, that is correct.

The only issue I would be worried about is potential conflict between virtualization drivers. If you have a VM (VMWare, VPC, VBox, etc) handy, I would test the combination before moving to my production or full system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.