Confused.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Tsoilihoi, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsoilihoi

Tsoilihoi Registered Member

I am having trouble determining where the focus of this group is and what is a problem or if it is just a section of the code that has not been finalized...
    So I am not sure how useful my observations can be.

I noted several things in posts over the past week of import.

1. inconsistent behavior when using the default buttons. Namely some return a page to default, others a section and still others the whole ball of wax. Some settings stay put on reboot but other return to default.

2. that the newheur label placed by advanced heuristics give false positives and that the work arounds to avoided redetection would be easily offset by an exceptions list. This rather than calling eset to change the definitions or turning off the advanced heuristics.

(BTW I attempted to upgrade a program that the ESET retail product labeled newheur. I was not sure at the time why it was being detected. The authors response was to stop communicating with me! It seems some shareware authors are touchy.)

Frankly the false positive issue and the lack of an exceptions list for both real and manual scanner is a real turn off and the only reason I have not purchased the retail product. The work arounds that I devised, having some familiarity with workarounds is acceptable but cumbersome.

Paul

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi !

The thing about the settings - as explained by Marcos some feautures are intentionally made to be always enabled or by default so that they are tested . Don't forget and always keep in mind that ESS is still in BETA .

As this is early beta1(b) it still doesn't include all feautures . As previously announced by Mayth we expect ESET to include context-menu scan,new design,OE anti-spam support , exclusions (for all modules) , many bugs fixes and other in beta2 . Don't worry , this is still beta , nothing is final.

You don't need to "stop" your business contacts or keep them if you have productive machine and/or you are company . In such case you are advised to use ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2.7 which is final and bug-free product and includes context-menu scan , exceptions and many others :thumb:

P.S. Marcos and Mayth are from ESET

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As for false positives, always submit them to samples[at]eset.com with "False positive ..." in the subject. Actually, advanced heuristics does not produce many false positives. If there are any, it's because the program uses a code typical for malware (e.g. remote admin tools provide remote access like backdoors do).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.