Confused on Restoring

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by JosephB, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Hope someone can help me with this ....

I am still a novice, in using DB10 Pro. I am now comfortable creating Backup Images and so I was proceeding next to try Restoring for the first time, but I am confused and reading the Paragon manual/help confused me further.

I created a Backup Image of only my System Partition and then proceeded to use the Restore Wizard:

1. I selected my Backup Archive which only contains a single partition image/object - my System Partition.

2. The next screen that appeared to my surprise was titled "Which folders and files to restore". I cancelled out of this screen, since I want to perform a Sector Level - Restore of the entire System Partition Backup Archive.

Question:
    .... So, why did this happen ? ... How do I use the Restore Wizrad to do a Sector Level - Restore of my System Partiton - Backup Archive, instead of just peforming a Folder/File Level Restore ?

P.S. Checking the manual documentation, does *not* clarify why this happens and does not show this screen appearing in the example of "System Partition Restore". As a matter of fact, the manual implies (at least to me) with its screenshots that a screen titled "What to Restore" is suppose to appear, but it does *not* appear for me in my description above !

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

JosephB,

This is normal behavior.

To restore the entire partition, do not select any partition or files to restore, simply hit next.

Selecting any file will cause the software to create a new partition of the same size and perform a file level restore, restoring only the files you have selected.

3. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Paragon_Matt.

Oh, .... Now, I understand ! ....A big thanks

Boy is this a confusing screen for a new user to be presented with (when the Backup Image only contains 1 object - i.e. 1 partition) and the documentation is *not* clear about this (no screenshot with explanation).

DB10 Pro - Enhancement suggestion for next release of DB10 Pro, just state at the top of this screen exactly what you just effectively stated to me:

"To restore the entire archive/partition, do Not select Folders and Files to restore, simply hit Next.

Selecting any Folder/File will Restore the partition (as the same size) and perform a File-Level Restore, restoring only the Folders/Files you have selected. "

BTW
    ..... I am sure i must not be the only new user confused about various Restoring screens in DB10 Pro, I think it would be a great benefit for new users, if an experienced DB10 Pro User or a Paragon Moderator had the time to also create screenshots with explanations of the various typical Restore - Partiton scenarios as a "Sticky" in this forum, just like what was done as a "sticky" for performing Backups. (Just a suggestion, that I feel would be beneifical for new users).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.