Confused- how do i make a bootable DVD backup?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cplsteel, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cplsteel

cplsteel Registered Member

First, I have read the manual and many of these posts, including the tutorials but I still have questions, so thank you for helping me.

What I want to do is this: make a bootable DVD that will restore my C drive (partition) in the event of something bad.

I know that a bootable disk will allow me to launch into TI and then restore a off of the secure zone and restore a partition, but if the whole drive has failed then I may not be able to get to the secure zone. So is there anyway to make a DVD (or series of DVDs) which I can boot off of and which will contain my partition image? This would mean I do not have to worry about complete drive failure?

Would the same system work if the drive failed completely and had to be replaced by a new hardrive? i.e. would i be able to "restore" the partition on the new drive?

I keep my essential data backed up on a removable hard rive, I also have a backup or two there which i assume i can access in windows via TI if needed. My issue is getting to windows if something bad occurs. My overall plan here is to use a backup from a clean install of windows with all my essential programs and settings in place, that way I do not have to do it again.

Sorry for the post, i just cannot find the answers anywhere. It sounds like what i want is part bootable dvd, part backup, part clone, etc...

Thank you for your help.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If that "backup or two" which you have on the removable was made by True Image, then when you use the bootable TI Rescue CD you will be able to restore that backup.

True Image also has the feature to combine the bootable Rescue device, in this case a DVD, with the backup Image of the entire drive. The feature is hidden under Tools/Options/Default Backup Options/Media Components/Advanced Tab.

Keep in mind though that if the size of the image needs 4 or more DVDs, the restore process is very tedious, involving numerous swapping of the dvd disks. The process does not call for the dvds in the order they were made.

If you want to have a backup on DVD, many users here use the 2-step process. First make the backup on another drive with the backup split into dvd sized pieces, then burn those pieces on to dvd with your favourite burning program.

3. cplsteel

cplsteel Registered Member

Thank you for your response, from my impression of the user guide it seems that the bootable dvd can only pull an image off the secure zone. As such my backups on the external would not count correct?

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you mean the bootable True Image Rescue CD .. it can restore an image that is on any hard drive connected to the computer, even usb types. The Backup Image does not have to be in an SZ. In fact I don't use the SZ at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.