confused about whether to use 32 bit or 64bit ESS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jebbrown, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jebbrown

jebbrown Registered Member

I have a multiboot system with 32 bit xp and 64 bit vista. The tech at eset told me to install 32bit ess on both partitions to avoid conflicts. Is there any validity to this? I don't really trust the tech, as when I had a problem downloading ess from the links in the email I was sent, this same person argued with me for several minutes that I must be entering the password or user name wrong because it worked fine from her end. Only after I finally read off word for word the error message I was getting was I informed that the links didn't work with IE7 and I needed to use IE6 or firefox. Geez, ya' coulda included that info in the email, Eset.

Anybody know know anything about the multiboot issue?

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, jebbrown

You would find that the x32 version will not [cannot be] install on your on the Vista x64, so you will need the x64 version as well.

That strange, I can download with IE7.

What Issue?

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

You need to use the 64 bit version on Vista 64. It's a kernel thing the way I understand it. There can be no conflicts because it's essentially two completely different computers when you dual boot. Besides like quest said, it won't install.

I wouldn't know about IE7 because I rarely use it. I use Firefox for everything except Microsoft Update.

4. TheQuest

Hi, stueycaster

Same here as a rule [when using M$], I just had to try it with IE7 because it made me inquisitive. :D

Take Care,

5. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

I know what you mean quest. I have to check out some of these problems myself. I just noticed that your avatar is the Linux Penguin. You're a Linux man aren't you. :thumb: I've just started trying to learn Ubuntu myself.

6. jebbrown

1) Thanks, glad to hear I cannot install 32bit ESS on 64 bit Vista - I assumed that either it would not run correctly (or not at all), or that I would be missing some capability. However, after my conversation with Eset's tech support, I needed some reassurance. Thanks to all who replied.

2) I'm guessing you're downloading the demo from their site, and yes I can do that to. What I said was "I had a problem downloading ess from the links in the email I was sent" - that is I just clicked on the links in the email. They link to different files (and are in a different place) than the demo files. IE7 reports a security issue for me when I try to login to download the files. I assume the files are different only in that the demo files have a demo username & password in place, and the ones I was trying to get don't.

3) I assume from your response that you have no issues with multiboot ESS 32bit and 64bit (a good thing to hear), however my friendly Eset tech told me there were issues and they shouldn't be run on they same machine. This made little sense to me, so again I was looking for some assurance from other users that there would be no problem.

Thanks again for all replies.

JEB

:thumb: Just found out the download problem - perhaps you were downloading from the correct place
    "http://download1.eset.com/download/win/ess/ess_nt64_enu.msi"
    Unfortunately the link they sent me was "http://download1.eset.com/download/win/essbe/essbe_nt64_enu.msi", which looks like a beta link.
    Pretty sloppy :mad: - can't say I'm inspired by their tech/sales departments, luckily their programmers seem to be a bit better at their jobs.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  7. Paraglider

Paraglider Registered Member

If your 32 bit and 64 bit Vista share drives and you install both versions into the same directory then you would expect to have problems.

8. jebbrown

Not quite sure what you mean. All OS installations are on separate partitions, so ESS 32 bit and ESS 64bit are not installed into the same directory, but 32 bit & 64 bit vista do share data drives, and their pagefiles are assigned to the same drive, which is different than the OS installation drives. Is this a problem?

9. TheQuest

Hi, stueycaster

Yes, I do use Linux most of the time now, even though I have Windows XP Pro, XP x64 and the new Windows ME know as Vista Ultimate :D, my preferred Linux distro is without doubt PCLinuxOS.

Take Care.

10. TheQuest

Hi,jebbrown

No, I have three full versions of NOD32, so I used the Link from an old email when I renewed my License to see if there was a problem with IE7, and found you were incorrectly told the problem was IE7.

Yes, that is because most Tech support [call centre] now days seem to read from some form of a script, as they have very little knowledge of their product.

Take Care,
    The Quest :cool:

11. Paraglider

Paraglider Registered Member

@Jebbrown,

If your 32 bit Vista and your 64 bit Vista are installed to different physical partitions and you install ess to the default Vista boot partition ( usually drive C ) in both cases then you should not have a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.