Confused about sector by sector backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by milbogo, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milbogo

milbogo Registered Member

When should I use the sector by sector backup method when making an image of my system drive?

I am confused when this option should be used.

Kind regards,
    Mil.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Probably never. I have used Ti in its various forms for quite a while and I have only used it once.
    The problem was an old Win 98 computer with a failed XP install over the top. It was in such a mess that TI could not make sense of the file system and so it defaulted to a sector by sector backup. From this it was posssible to extract all the vital user data and some MS installation files.

I cannot imagine the need to use sector by sector backups for routine backups. Full " My Computer" images are faster take up less space and do the job.

Xpilot

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I would agree with the "probably never" - for normal everyday backup situations.

4. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

I agree too Probably never!

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello milbogo,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

The sector-by-sector backup allows you to create an image of all sectors of the selected partition. This image will contain not only sectors with data but also sectors that are free. As a result, this image will be equal in size to the disk being imaged, as there will be no data compression. This method is useful if a partition being backed up is not supported by Acronis® True Image Home 2009 or is corrupted. In this case, all sectors of this partition are included in this image and will be restored.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.