Confused About "Other Options" ?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by boleyd, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boleyd

boleyd Guest

I am confused bout the Options on the Protection page. The problem is the wording on setting the check marks. As an example Install Global Hooks. Does the check mark present allow or dis-allow the setting of global hooks? The pop-up implies that if I check the box I will block global hooks. So does the check mark prevent global hooks from being set?

Similar comments for the other check boxes. I have an app that needs to use a Secure Message - Microsoft Flight Simulator. The pop-up simple repeats the obvious with no added statement about what to do. I found by trial & error that un-checking these boxes appears to allow the possibly "bad" function to proceed for the selected program. Perhaps a title of the section adding Check To Block would settle the confusion for any other customers with a similar confusion.

Dick

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi boleyed, The other options section, which I believe you are refering, when enabled gives the highlighted process the ability to perform those actions.

For instance process explorer on my set up has "Install driver/services" enabled (for PE to do it's job) and "Secure Message Handling" because I have given ProcessExplorer the Terminate privilege in the Authorise section.

HTH Pilli :)

3. boleyd

boleyd Guest

Yes, I discovered that. My suggestion is that some words be added to make the setting clear as to what a checkmark means to the novice customer.
    Regards,
    Dick

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hmm. Maybe this part of the help file is not clear enough?

PG help file
    Allowing programs to circumvent Global Protection Options

Some valid and trusted applications you use will need access to certain things which the Global Protection Options block access to. To ensure that ProcessGuard users can still run all their existing and future applications, you can give certain applications the ability to "override" the Global Protection Options. This allows every application which works fine without ProcessGuard installed to work fine WITH ProcessGuard installed, once setup correctly.

To do this you simply go to the Protection page of ProcessGuard, click on the application you want to give the access to, and then make sure the right option is ticked. Alternatively you can also give access to applications which have been blocked in the Alerts window by clicking on the specific alert and clicking on the appropriate button which is displayed.

5. boleyd

boleyd Guest

My issue is not with the help file but with the Protection Window. As an example one of the check-boxes says Install Global Hooks. Actually in the strictest sense the wording is not valid since placing a check-mark next to Install Global Hooks does not install anything but rather "allows" the installation. My suggestion is to change Install to "Allow". Or "Allow Install Of".

Allow Drivers/Services
    Allow Access to Physical Memory
    Allow Secure Message Handling

I just found the window disconcerting for my feeble mind.

Since you showed a section of the Help File I would suggest the following (shown in all-caps) which defines just what the check-boxes are actually doing.

To do this you simply go to the Protection page of Process Guard, click on the application you want to give the access to, and then make sure the right option is ticked TO ALLOW THE APPLICATION TO PERFORM THAT FUNCTION. Alternatively you can also give access to applications which have been blocked in the Alerts window by clicking on the specific alert and clicking on the appropriate DISPLAYED button.

Regards,
    Dick

6. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Would simply adding the word allowed to the section header clarify these are options allowed to override global blocks for anyone new to the concepts? "Other options allowed for the application."

7. dboley

dboley Registered Member

Yes -that works..
    Dick

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I'll put something on the TO DO list for the next version. I suspect we will end up changing it to something like this

ALLOWED Global options for this application

"Authorize this application to" could then also be displayed as "ALLOW this application to" ... thoughts ?

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That just might work allright ;)

10. dboley

dboley Registered Member

Agreed.....

11. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

This would not be true as it is for the application not a global option. I think you are better off by simply adding the word allowed to the header rather than risking clutter and further confusion.
    I feel the word authorize conveys more of a sense of control but allow would work too.

12. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

What I was trying to convey, was the fact that these are per-application ALLOWs, for the global options. So they are not global allows, but they counter the global options.

We will consider the various wording very carefully :) I agree authorize is good, but wanted to create an easy to understand, distinct opposite feel by using the words BLOCK / ALLOW more..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.