Conflicting with Outlook 2003

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rp100, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rp100

rp100 Registered Member

Hi guys,

I have recently installed NOD32 v2.51.26. I did previously have Norton Systemworks 2006 Premier installed which to the best of my knowledge I uninstalled successfully (using a guide of this forum).

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP2 and I have noticed what I believe to be a conflict between NOD32 and Outlook.

Outlook is active and running, you then run a NOD32 scan (these problems have occured when running a customised scan as a scheduled task and when using the standard on-demand scanner). The scan completes with no threats found. Outlook then suffers from two problems.

1) If you try to exit Outlook it does not close but instead minimises to the system tray. If you right click on the icon in the system tray you are offered the option to 'Open Outlook' yet it will not actually open Outlook again. In order to restore Outlook you have to launch the program again from the Programs list / shortcut. Which leads me on to the next problem...

2) When the above has occured and do you relaunch Outlook, several folders seem to been corrupted / moved. By that, I mean email Search Folders have been moved in the Tasks section; Tasks folders have been moved in to the Notes section; a Calender can appear in the Notes section and email folders that I have created can get moved to a different section (eg. Tasks or Notes).

Exactly what moves where differs each time the examples above are merely intended to give you an idea of the problem.

Any thoughts, feedback, solutions or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

rp100

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

3. rp100

rp100 Registered Member

Hi Blackspear,

Thanks for the reply. I did download and run the SymNRT tool. However, I did not download or run the files MSIFIX.bat or SYMMSICLEANUP.reg (as I was not aware of these files - only the SymNRT tool).

Should I download and run these files now having uninstalled Norton and installed NOD32?

Is it possible that not running these two files when removing Norton could cause NOD32 and Outlook to behave as they are?

Any other advice or solutions?

Many thanks,

rp100

4. Blackspear

I would run the other 2 tools as well.

If the issue persists after this, then I would uninstall and reinstall MS Outlook.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

5. rp100

rp100 Registered Member

I will run the other two as well and see if that helps.

However, my concerns with your suggestion of reinstalling Outlook is that a) It is a very consuming job to reconfigure all of the settings, preferences, options, folders, information etc. b) there is no guarantee that this would solve the issue and c) Outlook worked just fine when installed with Norton or stand alone - which would surely mean that the weakest link / cause of the problem is, in fact, NOD32?

Admittedly, to try and avoid this problem I can disable scheduled scans and only run manual scan when I have closed Outlook (as far as I know this does the cause the problem to occur) but obviously I would like to simply set NOD32 to scan regularly and automatically - and I have Outlook running pretty much all of the time.

6. Blackspear

OK, after running the additional 2 removal tools, try the following:

1. Download a fresh copy of NOD32 to your desktop.

2. Uninstall your current version of NOD32 through the Windows Control Panel> Add or Remove Programs.

3. Remove the Eset folder from C Drive> Program Files

4. Install the fresh copy of NOD32 that you downloaded above using "Typical" settings when asked.

Cheers :D

7. rp100

rp100 Registered Member

Ok - I will give that a go.

Thanks Blackspear - much appreciated.

8. screamer

screamer Registered Member

@rp
    However, my concerns with your suggestion of reinstalling Outlook is that a) It is a very consuming job to reconfigure all of the settings, preferences, options, folders, information etc.

To take some of the time / inconvenience out of re-installing Outlook. Just copy your Outlook.pst folder somewhere before you uninstall Outlook. Return the .pst file after the re-install. Everything should be the way you left it.

9. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I'd delete the extend.dat file that's inside of your Outlook hidden directory in C:\Docs and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Also go into Outlook, make sure there is no checkmark for Symantec still checked in COM+ plugins.

10. rp100

rp100 Registered Member

I'd delete the extend.dat file that's inside of your Outlook hidden directory in C:\Docs and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

- What does the extend.dat file do? Could I create any potential problems by deleting it?

Also go into Outlook, make sure there is no checkmark for Symantec still checked in COM+ plugins.

- How do I check this?

Thanks.

rp100

11. YeOldeStonecat

Extend.dat just keeps track of add-ins for Outlook. Deleting it...the next time you open Outlook a fresh one will be created.

Commonly recommended to delete this file if you have issues with leftover antivirus programs and Outlook.

For example...Symantec always recommends killing it when its corporate edition is uninstalled..but usually leaves junk behind which causes errors..such as in this link...
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...04060116454248?OpenDocument&dtype=corp&Click=

12. YeOldeStonecat

Whoops..forgot the road map....

Open Outlook..click on Tools drop down menu, then Options.
    Click on Other tab
    Advanced Options...button

You'll see the boxes for
    Add-In Manager
    and
    COM Add-ins....

look in both for leftovers....I have used this many times to cure issues related to left overs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.