Conflict with Scanner Control Program

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by orlp, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orlp

orlp Registered Member

I am testing Appdefend+Regdefend and have so far been impressed with them.

But today I tried to use my scanner. Appdefend asked if I would permit the scanner control program scan32.exe to run and I clicked "allow always". The program started but exited with a message saying it was unable to communicate with the scanner.

I tried again, disabling both Appdefend and Regdefend - no luck.

Then I exited the whole ghost security suite - bingo scanner worked.

So I restarted the security suite - scanner failed again.

Any advice how I can make this program work with Ghost Security?

2. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

Does the Scanner have a Name?

You may have to give the Scanner more Rights from AD.

3. orlp

orlp Registered Member

The program is called scan32.exe and identifies itself as FlachbettScanner the scanner itself is a Medion USB scanner.

I have tried giving the program every available permission - no luck.
    I have also tried disabling AppDefend and RegDefend - no luck
    Exiting Ghost Security works. You can restart it the moment scan32 is up and running.

When it fails the program posts an error message:
    unable to communicate with device, check that it is correctly attached and try again.

Good News: I tested the alpha build of Appdefend 1.3 and scan32 works straight away.
    Bad News: The alhpa -build is very slow and unstable on my machine. Takes an inordinate time to boot up and frequently dies with the dreaded BSOD.
    I have written a script to dismount Ghost Security, start the scanner and remount Ghost Security.

I guess I'll just have to wait till version 1.3 becomes stable and usable.

4. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

OK Is part of WIND Set to Block rather than Ask in AD?

5. orlp

orlp Registered Member

Bill, thank you for your interest.

I have tried setting all permissions to 'allow'. It has no effect.

So I have reset the permissions to
    allow execution
    allow self temination (=default)
    ask user/block for all others (=default)

I thought it might be one of the hooked services that was causing the problem. But I checked and exiting Ghost Suite does not unhook the driver. Since that cures the problem, it can't be that.

I now think it's a bug, and I guess Jason is not going to work on bugs in 1.1 that don't appear in 1.3. He has enough to do, getting 1.3 stable.

6. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

I have used AD since it came out. It is very stable on My Computer. AD sets up a lot of Roadblocks + Tripwires but you have to know who is the Good, Bad + Ugly. I have EasyCleaner + if I start EC I get a Process Ex. Alert from AD. I Allow it. ThenI get aNET -Conn. Alert .If I Allow Net- Conn the Program will Start Normal .ZA will stop Net Access. Now if I Block EC from Net the Program willnot start + DW willshut down the GSS Process sometimes. Is this related toYour Problem ? Ver. 1.3A

7. orlp

orlp Registered Member

No, I don't think it's related.

When I run the scanner program for the first time, or after I deleted its entry in Appdefends list, it asks whether the program can run. I click Allow always. The program starts and after a while I get the error message. There are no further alerts from Appdefend.

Also the error occurs even if I disable Appdefend. It only goes away if I completely exit Ghost Security until the connection to the scanner is established.

I can live with my script work-around until version 1.3 (which does not have the problem) becomes stable enough to use.

8. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Sounds like a weird issue, and since it's fixed already not much can be done about it. The next beta will be out in a few days and hopefully that will be a smoother run for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.