Conflict with Scanner Control Program

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by orlp, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orlp

orlp Registered Member

I am testing Appdefend+Regdefend and have so far been impressed with them.

But today I tried to use my scanner. Appdefend asked if I would permit the scanner control program scan32.exe to run and I clicked "allow always". The program started but exited with a message saying it was unable to communicate with the scanner.

I tried again, disabling both Appdefend and Regdefend - no luck.

Then I exited the whole ghost security suite - bingo scanner worked.

So I restarted the security suite - scanner failed again.

Any advice how I can make this program work with Ghost Security?

2. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

Does the Scanner have a Name?

You may have to give the Scanner more Rights from AD.

3. orlp

orlp Registered Member

The program is called scan32.exe and identifies itself as FlachbettScanner the scanner itself is a Medion USB scanner.

I have tried giving the program every available permission - no luck.
    I have also tried disabling AppDefend and RegDefend - no luck
    Exiting Ghost Security works. You can restart it the moment scan32 is up and running.

When it fails the program posts an error message:
    unable to communicate with device, check that it is correctly attached and try again.

Good News: I tested the alpha build of Appdefend 1.3 and scan32 works straight away.
    Bad News: The alhpa -build is very slow and unstable on my machine. Takes an inordinate time to boot up and frequently dies with the dreaded BSOD.
    I have written a script to dismount Ghost Security, start the scanner and remount Ghost Security.

I guess I'll just have to wait till version 1.3 becomes stable and usable.

4. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

OK Is part of WIND Set to Block rather than Ask in AD?

5. orlp

orlp Registered Member

Bill, thank you for your interest.

I have tried setting all permissions to 'allow'. It has no effect.

So I have reset the permissions to
    allow execution
    allow self temination (=default)
    ask user/block for all others (=default)

I thought it might be one of the hooked services that was causing the problem. But I checked and exiting Ghost Suite does not unhook the driver. Since that cures the problem, it can't be that.

I now think it's a bug, and I guess Jason is not going to work on bugs in 1.1 that don't appear in 1.3. He has enough to do, getting 1.3 stable.

6. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

I have used AD since it came out. It is very stable on My Computer. AD sets up a lot of Roadblocks + Tripwires but you have to know who is the Good, Bad + Ugly. I have EasyCleaner + if I start EC I get a Process Ex. Alert from AD. I Allow it. ThenI get aNET -Conn. Alert .If I Allow Net- Conn the Program will Start Normal .ZA will stop Net Access. Now if I Block EC from Net the Program willnot start + DW willshut down the GSS Process sometimes. Is this related toYour Problem ? Ver. 1.3A

7. orlp

orlp Registered Member

No, I don't think it's related.

When I run the scanner program for the first time, or after I deleted its entry in Appdefends list, it asks whether the program can run. I click Allow always. The program starts and after a while I get the error message. There are no further alerts from Appdefend.

Also the error occurs even if I disable Appdefend. It only goes away if I completely exit Ghost Security until the connection to the scanner is established.

I can live with my script work-around until version 1.3 (which does not have the problem) becomes stable enough to use.

8. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Sounds like a weird issue, and since it's fixed already not much can be done about it. The next beta will be out in a few days and hopefully that will be a smoother run for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.