Conflict w/ OA firewall and Winpatrol??

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by nomarjr3, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Hi. I'm using NOD32 v3, OA firewall and Winpatrol for on-access protection.
    I've noticed that after installing and running all these programs at the same time, my 'dummy' PC (an old Celeron M 1.4GHz w/ only 384MB RAM) slows down significantly.

Could it be because of the overlapping HIPS of OA firewall and NOD32? BTW does NOD32 have HIPS?

2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

NOD32 currently does not support HIPS; but let's really hope they will implement such feature.

I think you have too many realtime-scanners running at the same time. Try having only NOD32's realtime-scanner active and have the other scanners stopped. Use them for on-demand scans instead.

3. nomarjr3

I don't think it's a smart idea to stop OA firewall. I mean, it's a firewall. Firewalls are supposed to run real-time to prevent intrusion.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I know nothing about the OA firewall but I run Nod32 v3 and WinPatrol on 3 PCs and I have no issues/slowdowns at all...

5. kaiyote

kaiyote Registered Member

Nomar,

I am running into the same issue with OA & NOD32 v3 not playing well together. There shouldn't be much of a conflict between the two IMO - but then, I'm no expert.

I don't believe your WinPatrol is part of the problem, since the only security software I'm currently running is the OA Firewall coupled with NOD32 for anti-virus. HAN isn't having issues either, and he's not running OA.

I've been using Process Explorer to view system usage, and NOD32 is definately the one having difficulty - ekrn.exe has 4+ minutes of CPU time logged from its startup...

More details as I figure things out...

6. Gene Benson

Gene Benson Registered Member

nomarjr3,

I've been using Nod32 v3 and OA for a long time without problems. Don't use WinPatrol. One thing you might try is un-checking Web Shield in OA and see if that helps. There could be an issue with both Nod and OA trying to scan internet traffic.

7. nomarjr3

kaiyote,

The same issue happened to me. I ended up uninstalling OA firewall and finding out a suitable FREE replacement firewall.

I downloaded Outpost Free, Sunbelt Kerio Free, and Sygate Free.
    The first two programs failed to install on my 'dummy' PC.
    I ended up having Sygate Free. It's pretty decent firewall, though it's not leakproof like OA.

BTW I'm using OA firewall on my main PC together w/ NOD32. The lag is not much noticable since it uses a better processor and more RAM.
    But it crippled my 'dummy' PC, which means running both programs in an old PC is not recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.