Conflict of hot-key F11 in TrueImage

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mike V, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike V

Mike V Guest

I just bought a laptop Dell Inspiron 6000. It ships without Windows CD and image restore disks. Instead, it has all on the hard disk. Users can create the Win CD after booting. With time, after installing new software or getting a virus, if Win does not restart, at booting, just before Win kicks in, hitting the keys Ctrl-F11 will restore the hard disk to as-shipped conditions, from the image on hard disk itself.

I installed TrueImage 8 and right after created an image of the entire hard disk.The TrueImage image contained also the image of the as-shipped Dell image. Then, for testing purpose, I restored. Everything went very smooth, both during the creation of the image and restore, all without a glitch. At the end of the restore, I rebooted and everything was perfect.

However, I can no longer restore the as-shipped Dell image. The Dell hot key Ctrl-F11 concflicts with the TrueImage hot key F11. Accordingly, the next TrueImage release should have a user selectable hot-key(s), such as Ctrl-Shift-F3, F5, F7, Alt-F3, and so on.

Regards,

Mike V.
    Herndon, VA

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

It's not what you think. Search the forum for Dell Laptop to learn what happened to you. Hint: think MBR.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Installing the TrueImage Recovery Manager modifies the MBR, that makes the Dell Ctrl-F11 not function.

Remove the Recovery Manager and try Crtl-F11 again. It should work. When you have confirmed that it is working, make a new image of the entire drive including the Dell partitions and use that in the future.

Unfortunately, the Recovery Manager modification of the MBR disables other special functions installed by Dell's prior modifications of the MBR.

Fortunately, the Recovery Manager is not essential. You can boot from the Recovery CD instead. An additional advantage of using the Recovery CD is that it will work even if the hard drive has completely failed.

4. beenthereb4

Since you jumped in, I would hope your information is true! Here is what a prior post on this subject said:

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mike,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let us know the following?

- What version and build of Acronis program do you use?
    - Did you create Acronis Secure Zone?

We will investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. Mike V.

Mike V. Guest

I use version 8, build 791. I have not created a secure zone.

Mike V.
    Herndon, Virginia

7. PlexShaw

PlexShaw Registered Member

I think that build is out of date.

Are you sure you haven't activated the the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, like the others suggest?

8. jmk94903

Well, we'll know when he tries it. The previous post didn't cover removing the Recovery Manager.

9. beenthereb4

From the quoted post:

You cannot restore it to functionality by fixing the mbr. Once it's dead, forget it. Even if the restore partition is still present on the hard drive, it will never work again.

10. jmk94903

Yes, I saw that and interpreted to mean using a generic tool such a FDISK /MBR or FIXMBR.

What I hope is that uninstalling the Recovery Manager restores the original Dell modified MBR that was replaced.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.