Confirm application access twice??

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by SimonW, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Hi,
    Occasionally two dialog boxes appear one after the other for the same application when it first tries to access the net.

The first shows the correct path to the exe, the second has the short filename equivalent ( ~ symbols in them - what you see when you do a dir / x command ) but in both cases it leads to the same program.

Any idea why this might happen?

SimonW

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

the subject has already been talked about, it's just that in Windows programs can be called either by their full path or by their short name path, which at the end is a different path regarding the string in itself, whilst being the same path regarding the true location.

May be it's to avoid short path name masquerading (or hijacking) that Look'n'Stop does not "sanitize" the short path into full path before check, but I honestly don't know exactly why.

regards,

gkweb.

3. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Thanks for the reply :)
    I'll have to find the other thread (s).

(I just wondered whether I should delete one of the entries in the application list)

4. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

actually there is such a thread in the french forum, not sure about the english thought :rolleyes:

So keep it ;)

regards,

gkweb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.