Confilct with trojanhunter and nod32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ellison64, Dec 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im having problems opening trojanhunters "about" gui and liveupdate.The problem is a great delay (sometimes 20-30 secs) and 100% cpu utilization which freezes everything for the delay time.Ive found the problem to be AMONS scan on "open" files in amon setup.If i untick this there is no problem.I have put all trojanhunter directory in cluding subdirectorys in amons exclusion but i still get the same result and delay.Ive also asked at trojanhunter forums if theres other files i need to exclude.However in teh event that theres not,just how important is the scan files on opening ,bearing in mind that theres the scan files on "execute" which is still enabled.
    tia
    ellison
    Trojanhunter thread....
    http://forum.misec.net/board/TrojanHunter;action=display;num=1103884766;start=0#4

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

ellison64

You might want to list any other security type apps you have running besides Outpost and Trojan Hunter.

3. ellison64

I run boclean as my resident trojan scanner ,outpost and just nod.However its is nod thats conflicting.The only things that allow trojanhunter to behave properly (i.e no delays /cpu hogging when opening "about" or live update)is either disabling amon resident scanner or unticking the scan files on opening.It doesnt matter what heuristic settings i use or what files are scanned (i.e all files or extensions).Only those two things work..disabling amon which is not an option or unticking the scan files on "open".Another alternative of course is to live with it as theres no apparent problems between amon with full settings and any other programme i have installed at present.Ive also notice that amon shows TROJAN~1.EXE being scanned when open click the "about" in trojanhunter.The directory that ive put in amons exclusion folder is this...
    C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.0 , so im wondering why amon is still scanning trojanhunter.exe ...or at least i think it is.
    ellison

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  4. DanL

DanL Registered Member

Re: Conflict with trojanhunter and nod32

I've had some minor issues with Trojan Hunter and NOD32 running together also.
    I get the same delays which I decided to live with for now.
    I also noticed when I do a scan with TH, NOD 32 will sometimes warn for a possible new virus.

The only time NOD has done this is during a TH scan.

I started a thread here a few weeks ago on that issue.

EDIT: By the way, I'm using the extra settings from Blackspear's post.

Dan

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Registered Member

Hi,

@ DanL
    Unless im mistaken, your meant to shut down nod when doing a scan with trojanhunter which is probably why your getting nod jumping in. Try shutting down nod next time you scan with trojanhunter and see if the same thing happens.

@ ellison64
    Ive been using nod (using the extra settings by blackspear) and trojanhunter for a while now and have not noticed any conflicts. I get about a 10 second pause between clicking live update and the gui appearing.

The only thing I have noticed is that when you update, the little nod box comes up above the taskbar, then the update is handed over to trojanhunter which completes the update.

darkmatter

6. ellison64

Hello DanL..I would also shutdown the amon module when scanning .Thank for verifying the delays though.
    Darkmatter...its possible you have less of a pause because you may have a better spec machine than me.Mines w98 and only a 733.However if you untick the scan on open (files) in amon you should see theres no delay.It seems also that the amon excluder doesnt function properly , because its still scanning the trojanhunter folder ...either that or i havent put the folder in correctly which i doubt.Ive read there was some problems with nods exclusion folders and long file names.Im wondering whther theres a problem with trojanhunters entry too/?
    ellison

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Registered Member

Hi ellison,

Im running xp, 1.8 GHz which would account for the relatively quick load up compared to your time.

I altered the options in amon and it does indeed load up straight away. I can live with the 10 second delay though, but I can appreciate your frustration at waiting 20 - 30 secs.

darkmatter

8. ellison64

Thnaks for confirmation.I too can live with the delay as its just trojan hunter at the moment .Id still like to know whther the exclusion folder in amon is buggy though , as i would have thought that adding the trojanhunter directory and subdirectorys would stop amon scanning it anyway.At present adding the trojanhunter directory has no affect whatsever.
    ellison

9. Howard

Howard Registered Member

I don't know if it is buggy, but I have found it incapable of handling long file names which is simply ludicrous.

10. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

Try excluding the file from AMON's scanning by adding it to the exclusion list twice. Once in todays naming format, and also in the 8.3 naming convention

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.