Configuring Start-up Scan for Off Hours

Discussion in 'ESET Endpoint Products' started by FTD_MandM, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FTD_MandM

FTD_MandM Registered Member

Hi All,
    First post! I looked around for a similar topic, both on the ESET website, and here, and unfortunately could not find the information I was looking for!

Currently have ESET Endpoint Antivirus 5.0.2126.0 Installed on our network, and I was hoping someone could help me with configuring the start up scan?

Currently I believe it is set to the default, and runs a start up scan on well... start-up. So this is functioning as intended, but is it possible to configure the scan for a different time? I would like to have it set to off hours, or perhaps it can be set to scan on shutdown/log off.
    Off hours would be 5:00pm - 5:00am CST.
    Any help is appreciated!

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

you can setup any number of scans at any time - look into the scheduler which is found under tools.

I have several scheduled tasks - even non-ESET programs can be triggered using the ESET scheduler - I run a browser cache clean in the middle of the night before I fun deep scan with ESET - but I may kill that browser cache clean as I now run my browser caches much smaller, and on a RAM disk instead of HDD.

3. FTD_MandM

Hey, Thank you for the help!
    I went under the tools section and unchecked the startup scan after user log on.
    I believe this is what I needed.
    Thanks again!

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I wouldn't recommend changing default startup scan settings. It's like if you wanted ESET to detect new born malware only at a particular time of a day.

5. FTD_MandM

Sorry I probably need to clarify better. I understand your concern, But the configuration I am 'tinkering' with is on our SBS, which is pretty much always online. It was just slowing down when I would RDC into it, because it was treating it as a new user logon, and then running a startup scan.

The other settings are to update the database and definitions every hour, I am not entirely sure what are some of the drawbacks of disabling this scheduled task?

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Startup scans check all stuff loaded in memory so they discover malware otherwise undetected by other modules. However, I assume it would be relatively safe to disable startup scans upon a user logon if they will be run after each update.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.