Configuring Jetico and ShadowUser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cthorpe, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

I am nearing the end of a long week of reinstallation and reconfiguration of my WinXP SP2 machine. I have the following defenses resident:

Jetico
    NOD32
    Process Guard (full version)
    SSM with application monitoring disabled but other modules turned on

I will be using on demand spyware scanning with Ewido and a squared (both free versions).

I am wanting to configure Jetico for all of my apps for updates, browsing, email, etc and then tell it to block everything else so there are no more popups (mainly because my wife doesn't know what to do with them).

I am thinking about getting ShadowUser for testing new applications and things like that. What ports do I need to open up for it through Jetico (if any)?

Thanks,
    Ct

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

I have a very basic knowledge about firewalls (mine is Look and Stop configured with Blackspear's settings), but I 've never had any interaction (noticeable anyway) between LnS and ShadowUser (it doesn't phone home or updates). I guess you won't have to do anything IMO.

On the other hand I would pay extra attention to ShadowUser and ProcessGuard. When you install ShadowUser, make sure that in the PROTECTION screen of ProcessGuard these entries are listed:

shadowuser.exe and suatshut.exe. When you click on these entries you should enable INSTALL GLOBAL HOOKS.
    If they are not listed you can add them from Program Files.

PG won't do it in learning mode because of the creation of the virtual volume in shadow mode. Hence failing to do so, will stop SU from switching into shadow mode properly.

Likewise SSM could create some problems but I don't know the application at all. One piece of advice: If you intend to use SU systematically like I do, having two HIPS installed will only complicate your life unnecessarily.

I hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.