Configuration password gotcha

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by kenwkmsi, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenwkmsi

kenwkmsi Registered Member

Yesterday I thought I'd try out a template configuration file I got from someone more experienced a while ago. I figured, what the hey, if I don't like it, I just won't save the settings, right?

Wrong. The configuration immediately locked my settings, reset my remote management address and changed my configuration password so I can't do anything with it. I have no idea what the password was, I can't undo the changes, can't re-apply my original settings, I can't manage it remotely, it's not getting updates, as this is V4 (on Vista x64), there's no uninstall without a password either.

I've sent an email off to ESET with the password reset request but, of course, that was Friday, so it'll be Monday before I hear from them.

So go ahead and laugh; I just thought I'd warn people not to do what I did. Don't saw off the branch you're sitting on. There ain't no undo!

/kenw

2. DannyT

DannyT ESET Support

3. kenwkmsi

kenwkmsi Registered Member

Thanks, Danny.

You're right! I missed the fact that, even if the client configuration settings are locked and the Remote Admin is bollixed because the address setting has been changed, I can still push a complete overwrite install of a known good config!

Thanks!

/kenw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.