Configuration password gotcha

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by kenwkmsi, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenwkmsi

kenwkmsi Registered Member

Yesterday I thought I'd try out a template configuration file I got from someone more experienced a while ago. I figured, what the hey, if I don't like it, I just won't save the settings, right?

Wrong. The configuration immediately locked my settings, reset my remote management address and changed my configuration password so I can't do anything with it. I have no idea what the password was, I can't undo the changes, can't re-apply my original settings, I can't manage it remotely, it's not getting updates, as this is V4 (on Vista x64), there's no uninstall without a password either.

I've sent an email off to ESET with the password reset request but, of course, that was Friday, so it'll be Monday before I hear from them.

So go ahead and laugh; I just thought I'd warn people not to do what I did. Don't saw off the branch you're sitting on. There ain't no undo!

/kenw

2. DannyT

DannyT ESET Support

3. kenwkmsi

kenwkmsi Registered Member

Thanks, Danny.

You're right! I missed the fact that, even if the client configuration settings are locked and the Remote Admin is bollixed because the address setting has been changed, I can still push a complete overwrite install of a known good config!

Thanks!

/kenw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.