Configuration issues?! McAfee Desktop Firewall 8.5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Hormoz, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hormoz

Hormoz Registered Member

Hi guys,

Like many of you i have tried some different Firewalls and i really have to say that this one has been the best sofar. Before i installed McAfeee Desktop Firewall i had Kaspersky security and i actually didnt have any issues either. But McAfee does not slow down internet speed (like Kaspersky, Comodo...)nor it slows down the windows start up speed (like ZoneAlarm) while its damn reliable and real tough to beat.

I have a problem though. Its regarding the intruder policies. When the firewall blocks a known intruder, my internet connection gets blocked immidiately. I checked all the settings again but nothing helped except i removed the intruder off the list of intruders and all of a sudden everything worked fine and perfect and i had access to internet again! I dont know but to me it seems a little fishy. Why do i have to remove it? Why is it not possible to just keep that intruder blocked while i surf in internet? Maybe its possible and i dont know about it.

Any ideas how i could solve this problem? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. Hoodied

Hoodied Registered Member

Hey!

I think that for us too help you a little more we need more information about the intruder and its policies. Maybe a screen shot of the intruder before you block it.

My only guess is that you are blocking an important service of Windows that is trying to connect out in which you mistake as an intruder and blocked it. An example of this would be blocking services.exe connecting out by UDP for DHCP Requests or Blocking svchost network connections out which would shutdown your internet completely until these important services or unblocked. Again this is only an example.

3. noway

noway Registered Member

Just to add to what Hoodied said, write down the IP Address of the "Intruder" and check it against your DHCP server's and DNS servers' IP addresses and make sure they're not the same.

ie. Control Panel-Network Connections-Local Area Connection-Support-Details

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.