Concerned about the WebCam

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by plexitus, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plexitus

plexitus Registered Member

Hi there,

I thought this was the right sub forum to post this question. If it's not; my apologies.

Thing is, I'm about to buy a new laptop computer, and my "problem" is that all the laptop computers I have in mind that I want to buy, have a built-in Web Cam. I'm afraid that a trojan, worm or a hacker can activate the Web Cam without me knowing about it. I don't want a hacker spying on me.

So my question is: How can I be protected from any kind of hijack of my Web Cam?

I have not yet bought a new laptop, but I will in a few days, and I wanted to hear some viewpoints on my question. I will run a firewall, of course, but what else can I do?

EDIT: The laptop will run Windows Vista, but I have not yet decided what hardware company I want to buy from, so this is all info I have... For now.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  2. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

So do you not want to use the cam? If so, you can probably just disable the hardware in device manager.

For extra safety, you can always just put a very small piece of black tape over the camera lens. :p

3. plexitus

plexitus Registered Member

I know this reply is very late, but I didn't buy it until some days ago, and I haven't got the chance to go online before now.
    I bought a laptop from Asus. I found out when I came home that I could just rotate the cam 180 degrees against the wall. :)

No, I didn't buy that laptop just because the cam was "rotateble"(spelling?).
    The laptop was great in many ways.

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

rotatAble:)
    Enjoy the new laptop and happy holidays!

5. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Use common sense and use a reputable AV. And Windows + Hardware Firewall.

Some OS hardening won't hurt either.

6. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Get Zemana Antilogger
    One of its many features is

Webcam Logger protection: Prevents external requests for webcam captures, including requests that are carried out even when your webcam is turned off.

http://www.zemana.com/list/list.aspx?ktgr_id=354

(From Zemana's page)

Why traditional antivirus products are not able to keep up?

Standard, signature-based anti-malware software typically requires up to 40 hours to identify and provide a patch for invasive software attacks while Zemana AntiLogger provides very strong proactive anti-malware protection.

Zemana AntiLogger does not use any database. It just monitors your system and notices strange operations performed by suspicious applications. Zemana provides the highest level of security in a very user-friendly system and requires less system resources.

It actually monitors your PC for any suspicious activity. By installing AntiLogger you can do what you usually do with the computer knowing that all your credit card numbers, banking passwords, private data..e.t.c. are under constant protection.

Zemana AntiLogger is meant to work in conjunction with ( not replace ) your existing anti-virus software.

7. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Just another system slowdown. Just use a AV.

8. Leonid

Leonid Registered Member

You can put something on the cam if you are paranoid. Easy to do as the cam is above the screen. That can't be remotely broken.

9. Warlockz

Whats the use of something covering your webcam if a hacker has control of your Machine? you need to stop the hacker from accessing your machine in the first place, Zemana Antilogger lost my respect when Spector Pro Bypassed it, so I no longer recommend it After more research I would recommend using a Strong HIPS, check out this poll thread

What is the best HIPS out there?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=134703

10. Leonid

Leonid Registered Member

How do you mean what's the use? If your webcam is covered with something it can't be remotely uncovered. Lol, breaking into your comp remotely doesn't provide physical access.

11. Warlockz

Don't LOL me dude, please do some research before replying to my post, If the hacker has control of your webcam, then he obviously can gain access to the rest of your machine threw other means, which could mean Physical access, and he can do everything you can do on your machine remotely, he obviously has some kind of keylogger or Trojan installed on your machine if he has access to your Webcam, so another words you would be infected, how else would he gain access to your Webcam?

You need to stop the hacker from accessing your machine in the first place, Period!

This is done by using a good Antivirus, AntiMailware, Antispyware and HIPS software, or alternatively you can use Virtualization software so everything you do online is virtualized and doesn't effect your original OS!

Also the upcoming Zemana v2+ is promised to have protection against SpectorPro and alike software that can compromise your privacy, I'm still using their v1+ version and currently waiting for their v2 release!

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  12. I'm not quite sure what you're saying... If the hacker has physical access to your machine, no software you install can do anything. Physical access means ownage. Physical access means that the hacker can pick your case lock, clear your BIOS, boot from a live medium, and do whatever he wants.

13. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

No malicious software can defeat a small physical cover over the camera. Leave it on when you're not using it. If something or someone manages to defeat your entire security package and gets the webcam turned on, they'll get to see the inside of the physical cover, nothing else.

14. Leonid

Leonid Registered Member

Exactly! Of course you need the progs to lower the possibility of successful attacks. However, it's preferable to cover your webcam with a piece of paper for extra-safety. If you care of course. I know I do. I wouldn't like to be captured by some jerk who would then publish photos of me on the web. It's a very realistic possibility.

15. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

There are two nuts on this board. You know who you are. I cannot tell if you are just idiot-paranoids or directing people to products/practices to pilpher the naives' IDs.

16. Leonid

Leonid Registered Member

That's your opinion. As I said, it's a very realistic possibility. It's better to be idiot then sorry.

17. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Best quote I've ever seen on Wilders!

Perfectly correct!

18. underdog

underdog Registered Member

even if you cover the webcam with tape or rotate it away, isn't it possible that there is an internal microphone built in that can record what's going on in your room? sound waves go through tape.

19. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Can't wait to see them :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.