computer's speakers got louder (same settings)

Discussion in 'hardware' started by wutsup, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey, so after i reinstalled Arma 2 from steam on my computer, my computer's volume got louder. havent change anything

2. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Turn it down?

3. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

lol its not like that, its louder with the same settings and everything...

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If you turn it down to a comfortable loudness, take note of the setting. That will be your new base line.

5. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

do you know what would cause this?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If the volume is louder, it might depend on what site you are listening to. You Tube, for instance, seems to have variations on their some of their music videos from softer to louder.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Do you notice your Wife speaking louder also? I'm sorry I couldn't resist. :D
    Actually it could be louder for a number of reasons. I would just accept it.

8. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

One possible reason could be that you were using default Microsoft audio drivers for your sound card before, and when you installed Arma 2, the game installed the latest audio drivers from your sound card manufacturer.

I have experienced a similar situation as you have mentioned above, though in my case it was not the loudness but the richness of the output sound that was improved considerable by installing the sound card's own drivers and utility.

9. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hmm ic byut i dont have a sound card i have the onboard realtek Hd audio

10. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

That just means you have a sound card built-in the motherboard.

11. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Or, perhaps the control knob on the speakers was down, and now maybe someone turned that knob up. All the settings on the PC would be the same, but the volume would be up.

A game or program should not adjust settings on it's own, but often, games interface with the control, and turning the volume up in the game, turns the master volume up.

Are all sounds louder?

Have you scanned for malware?

12. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

i noticed if i put the volume bar around 66 instead of 100 it soudns like how it should be? but it was always 100 before

13. Bill_Bright

Well, if you figure it out, let us know. Maybe we all will learn something new.

In the meantime, are you sure no one changed the knobs on the speakers themselves? What type speakers? Stereo? 2.1? 5.1? Are all connections tight?

14. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

well its one of those speakers where u turn it on with the control knob so its not gonna be exactly in the same place everytime, but i know what settings i use and stuff and it seems louder. its a 2.1 speaker system from bose and its kinda old. oh and i checked my computer for rootkits/malware with sanity check, unhackme, avast anti rootkit ,and f secure blacklight, avira, a squared sas, mbam. blah blah blah nothing came up.

15. Bill_Bright

Well, I'm out of suggestions. Sorry.

If you figure it out, let us know.

16. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey bill i remember when i was reinstalling Arma 2 through steam, that it did some kind of direct x update right after through the steam interface. but i already had directx updated. maybe direct x did something to my audio?

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Did your speakers get moved closer? ;)

18. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

no.....i just want to fix this problem.but hey twl845 i do remember when i was reinstalling arma 2 (steam version) that after it was done downloading it was doing a Direct X update(or some installation of some sort) but I already had direct X on my copmuter from installing arma 2 already and from other games. is ther any audio components related to direct x?

19. Bill_Bright

I'm wondering if that Direct X update didn't fix a problem you were having - that is, what if before these updates, your volume not working right and was too low? So you had to crank everything up to hear it. Now, perhaps, your system is working correctly, and you need to turn the volume back down to normal levels.

So I must ask, can you easily adjust the volume to normal listening levels?

20. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I tend to agree with this theory, or the Directx one. Really, it's no big deal, is it? As long as you can still adjust the volume to your comfort level, that's all that should matter.

21. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

well ive just decided im gonna do a complete clean installation of vista 64bit after i use dariks boot and nuke.i saved all my stuff on an external harddrive so i should be good to go. sorry but i ahve another question whats the difference between deleting the partition and formatting before u click next to install windows. from what ive read and seen is that its the same thing?

22. Bill_Bright

I don't know where you would have read that because it is WAY not true.

Think of your drive as a big cabinet. You can stuff the cabinet full and use the cabinet that way just fine. But you can also divide the cabinet into two or more sections. This is called partitioning. You can put these things in one partition, and those things in another. The sections are called partitions, and each partition is seen as a separate drive by the operating system. Every drive has at least one partition to start and it uses the whole drive.

Whether you use multiple partitions or just one, partitions must be prepared to store data. This is done by formatting. Each partition is formatted separately, and can use different formats (NTFS, FAT32, etc.).

Partitioning and formatting are two totally different things.

During Windows install, you have the option to setup partitions and format them. By formatting during a reinstall, the old data is not removed, the space is just marked as available, and that's fine.

23. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

ok thanks for the explanation, but im confused to as why when i delete the info/partition on my harddrive (only have 1 500gb HD for everything) the format option gets greyed out? and also even after i reformatted the first time i still had my audio working? thought reformatting deletes drivers but my audio still worked. thats why i wanna use DBAN to wipe everything and start from an abosolute clean slate.

24. Bill_Bright

You can use DBAN if you want - only I would suggest using Eraser - it is more user friendly, and uses DBAN technology.

Formatting would have deleted everything from the disk you formatted. If you have partitions, only the one selected gets formatted. Yes, 3rd party drivers get deleted, but Windows has native drivers for basic Windows sound too.

As far as grayed out, I don't know where you are talking about.

25. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

He's deleted the partition, so I think a new partition will have to be created before formatting is possible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.