Computer's "Search Companion" is lost + adware?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jayzzz, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

My computer can't find anything on the C drive using the search function. All searches come up with nothing.

Problems seemed to start last Thursday night with ePrompter freezing. But I think I used Search and failed to find things I should've while removing IE-SPYAD Wednesday or Thursday.

Then ePrompter was freezing my whole computer when it locked up, and still does each time I try. The Micro$oft AntiSpyware program said I had "GonnaSearch" toolbar, and removed it Saturday. It may have been a false positive, from what I've read searching this site.

This morning, Panda Active Scan says I have "VirtualBounce." They wonder which of their products I'd like to buy to get rid of it. I don't and have not had any symptoms of anything except for while ePrompter is running. Then the only symptoms are that it and/or my entire computer lock up. That's been a very reliable program for several years, and a few others are having the same problem. BUT they are not having problems searching their C drives, etc. I can't try a clean install, because I can't find the files to delete.

My computer scanned clean with Ad-Aware, Spybot, HJT, and AVG-Free over the weekend, and I've not gone anyplace but forums since. Friday, I ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r without any red flags going up that their work wasn't completed.

I'm not sure if things are related to each other or not...or what's going on. Any ideas sure would be appreciated. If I'm slow getting back, it's because SOMEtime before tomorrow morning, I have to clean up for someone coming through the house because the owner of the building is apparently trying to sell or get a new loan. I'll likely give higher priority to this than to that, though, until it gets a little later and it's panic time! ;)

Also, yesterday when I booted, I found a new entry (which I'll search for in Google)...the top one in the attached graphic...I've not seen before. I usually go in and delete the second one when I think of it. Never mind...it's about the gmail notifier, I think. :oops:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.