Computer won't boot, power light showing amber yellow

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Jtaylor83, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jtaylor83

Jtaylor83 Registered Member

:'( Help, my computer won't boot-up and the power light is showing amber yellow. And when I took a sniff into the computer, it smelled all musty.

My computer is an Intel.

2. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Do you see anything at all on the screen?

3. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

4. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

If it is a Dell, a flashing amber power light means a PSU failure. If it is a steady amber then a system component has failed. I once had a Dell GX270 with a steady light and found the processor was bad. The processor's heatsink was so clogged with dust that it must have overheated the processor. I cannot stress enough the importance of giving your computer's insides a good clean at least once a year. PSUs are also affected by dust.

Dell's PSUs are somewhat proprietary. You can make an aftermarket PSU fit but you will have to modify the back of the computer case to make it work.

5. Jtaylor83

Mine's a Gateway PC. I already talked to ardvark in avast! forums and he said it might be the motherboard.

I took my PC to NetLine America to have it fixed and I had to pay a $20 deposit fee.

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Deposit fee? For what? :eek: o_O

If they fix it and you do not reclaim it\pay for it they keep it. Is the deposit refundable or credited to the final cost of repair?

7. Jtaylor83

I had to pay the $20 deposit to get it fixed and they'll call me when it's done.

8. ThunderZ

Guess everyone dose business in their own manner.

Just never dealt with any shop which required a deposit. You brought it in, they fixed it and notified you it was done. You then had XX amount of days to pay for it and pick it up. Otherwise it was parted out and\or sold.

It has been many years since anyone but myself has touched one of my PCs....guess the times they are a-changing.

9. Jtaylor83

Update: NetLine America (NetAm) called me that the power supply unit is damaged and they don't have the replacement for it, so I'll have to buy a new processor and install my current hard drive into the new PC as a slave drive. I'm concerned what would happen if I install my current hard drive into the new PC as the primary drive.

10. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Whoa! You should NEVER have to buy a new processor because the PSU is damaged - unless the PSU took out the CPU when it failed. Are you sure that is what they said?
    That would be a mistake - unless the new PC/Motherboard was the EXACT same model and revision number. This is because Windows on the current drive is configured for (and licensed to) the current hardware. The smart decision is to put your current drive as the slave to access all your data. Any programs installed will need to be reinstalled so the registry points to the correct location (the second drive).

As for the deposit - I can understand it. I don't demand deposits myself, but I know some folks that do. It does make sense actually. The process of troubleshooting the problem down to the specific failed component is most often the most time consuming and difficult aspect of PC repairs. 2 hours of labor at $50/hour is not uncommon. Then add replacement parts and the cost of repair QUICKLY exceeds anything the repair shop can get for used parts. Abandoned, broken, older PCs, left by the owner who does not want to spend $200 for repairs is not uncommon.

11. ThunderZ

Work at\with a local Tech Shop on a regular basis. Totally understand the inner workings. Bench time = initial trouble shooting and then related costs of parts and repair. Just guess I have been spoiled. Never have had to pay a deposit or seen them charge one in their 18+ years of business.

Back on topic. 100% agreement on the purchase of the new machine. The shop should have a PS that can be at least temporarily hooked up to test the other components as opposed to pushing the sale of a complete machine.

12. Jtaylor83

Just to give the update to you all: A second option NetAm gave me (through my mother) is to take the mobo out of the old PC shell and place it into the new one.

13. ThunderZ

Going on that info I will figure that all the other hardware is good. Mobo, processor, etc. Do not understand why a new PS is not ordered to replace the old one. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.