Computer Tutorial For Seniors

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by razor0018, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razor0018

razor0018 Registered Member

Anyone know of a good/simple video tutorial that can teach a senior how to use the basic functions of a PC so I don't have to?

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i know a few who used the videos on tv the professor ones. they seemed to like them.

i teach a senior class lol. i started it based on so many requests from my customers from my pc shop i rent a small room out for a few nights a week and they LOVE THE CLASSES i have to say if any wants a nice small business in their area this is a fantastic idea. i dont charge them very much basically just to cover costs since me and my wife's business' are very involved with our community in our area but i have had so many say they would pay 3-4 x what i charge for these type of classes geared just for seniors.

also they may want to check with the local library or city offices for classes they offer most libraries do have classes.

3. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Why specify "seniors", as if being a senior is an affliction that makes you stupid? Being unfamiliar with PCs can be a result of many situations other than being senior.

Seniors are the ones that designed computers. They're the ones that purchased them before there was any significant software, and as a result learned to program in low level and high level languages in order to make them something useful.

Seniors gave you the PC, designed them and the software, and gave them to you. There's nothing about seniors that make them require the magic touch of youth's genius.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

just to add to my above statement where i live we have mainly a senior community in florida and they are simply the ones who ask for the help. and I DO NOT BY ANY MEANS single them out there are some very smart ones out there who are excellent but as i said they are the main part of my business who need the help.

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Aside from Z's advice, would you consider this too basic? How about you tell us whether your friend'll be working with a home computer (include the OS) or down at their local library? If you're willing to post you should be willing to respond .. be nice to have some constructive feedback.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Yeah. Seniors are the ones who told you to put your hat on it's cold outside. When I as a senior wanted to learn how to use my computer, I signed up for some classes at the local SUNY college. Then I read everything I could find and registered at Wilder's Security Forums.

7. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

As a senior who is self taught I read all I could about basic computers before I bought one and then found all these great forums on line and read all the posts I could. You can learn a lot just from reading posts on forums and when I had a question or a problem I posted to them and got my help from all those great people that share their knowledge.

8. GlobalForce

9. razor0018

Well I am trying to get them familiar and comfortable enough to use a computer on their own at home. So eventually they won't be so intimidated when a job related task reqiures them to enter/pull data and etc.

Also for anyone who thinks im being discriminatory you're over analyzing. I just know a few people personally who are up in age and aren't very tech savvy. They're constantly asking questions and have a fear of working anything electronic. I am trying to find a solution. That's all.

10. GlobalForce

You missed the part that'd be helpful - the OS. The more specifics you provide, the better.

11. pot2pan

pot2pan Registered Member

For many online help will not work, they need personal contact and entrainment from peers: a support group. I am sure others will have had a similar heart-breaking experience to this:
    The pensioner down the street, ex radio-technician, and therefore tech-savvy was always telling me he was dreaming to have a PC, but they were a bit pricey and he did not know where to start. He had got some books about beginning with computing.
    When the time came to upgrade my PC workhorse, I therefore re-furbished the old machine, upgraded the memory and HDD and lugged it to his place. He was ecstatic, just asked me to install windows 98 as he had heard it was easy to use and had been told some program he wanted to use would not work on a newer OS. Err..? OK. I unearthed my old copy of Win98 and installed it there in front of him. He then wanted to see if some DVD he had could be played on the machine... Ah? OK, good. I found some software that would work with 98, installed it with him and he could watch his DVD. I left him admiring his PC.

I saw him pruning bushes in his front yard a couple of weeks later and enquired about the PC. He assured me I should not worry. He had packed it properly and stored it into his dry storeroom where nothing would happen to it until he had learnt to use computers properly. He was not going to risk damaging it by doing anything rash with it until then. My heart sank.

That was 4 years ago. I have not asked him any more. I am sure the PC is still safe in its dry storeroom.

If that's what happens with a technical person, what will happen with a technical-shy person?

12. razor0018

Sorry. Just something that covers the basics of using a Windows Operating system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.