Computer Scan never completes

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by dietrologia, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dietrologia

dietrologia Registered Member

I have Antivirus 6 (ver. 6.0.308.0) and when I initiate a manual scan of my computer, it never seems to complete. The icons spin, but it never finishes when I leave it to run overnight.

The scanning logs show "scanning in progress" but has zeros in the scanned/infected/cleaned columns.

This just started happening when I began receiving my 10-day's until registration expires notices. After I re-registered the product for another 2 years, the problem has continued.

Any thoughts?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Which operating system? Any other antimalware programs on your computer? The more info the better so someone can help you.

3. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello dietrologia

See if you can use this article. It describe different reasons to why a computer scan can take unusually long time to finish. Link: Why is the Computer scan hanging? ....Or you can try to reinstall Eset.

Regards, Janus

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Enabling logging of all scanned files in the on-demand scanner profile setup would give you more details as to whether something is being actually scanned.

5. dietrologia

Sorry. Here are more details:

I'm running Windows 7.

When I run a custom scan on:

* operating memory -- runs fine, tells me scan has been completed
    * boot sector -- runs fine; tells me scan has been completed
    * C:\ -- seems to run fine -- the progress bar moves slowly and I can see the various files being scanned -- but at some point the progress bar completes and then "resets" as if I've lost all my progress. I wasn't there at the exact moment, because this takes a couple of hours.

Right now, six hours into my "scan," I see no activity other than the still-twirling icons and no indication that the scan has completed. The main Computer Scan window indicates 0 for threats/cleaned/scanned and the progress bar is clear again indicating zero progress, though the last time I looked, it was 3/4 black.

Scan log shows that scanning is still in progress, but again, also indicates zero files scanned, etc.

I am not running any other virus apps and have used NOD32 for several years with no problem up until this week.

Thank you to everyone who has looked into this on my behalf -- I appreciate it.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you have more drives, does the problem occur if you select and scan one at a time?

7. dietrologia

Thanks for the link to this, Janus. I'm going to poke around using this info -- I suspect my problem is addressed in one of the linked references.

EDIT: I ended up uninstalling and the reinstall works fine now. Thank you again to everyone.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  8. boris79

boris79 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.