Computer name != Client Name

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by aluminex, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aluminex

aluminex Registered Member

Here is the issue:

Our naming scheme for our laptops are l-userslastname

L-DOEJ in ERA is: CLIENT: L-DOEJ COMPUTER: L-DOEJ

When John Doe leaves the company and the computer is renamed for the new hire name George Bush this is what happens in ERA:

L-BUSHG in ERA is: CLIENT: L-DOEJ COMPUTER: L-BUSHG

Is there a way to correct this issue?

2. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

Delete it from ERA and let it add itself the next time it connects? (only drawback to that is you'll lose history for L-DOEJ)

3. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

No, there isn't really a way to do it. I wish they would give us the option to link the hostname to the client name (unless there is a conflict, obviously. then the xxxx 00001 thing), since I operate an environment where everything has unique hostnames and every once in a while I have to do a manual look over to catch anything that was renamed. I've started taking to hiding the client name column entirely in favor of the hostname.

4. aluminex

aluminex Registered Member

thanks

5. tanstaafl

tanstaafl Registered Member

We name our workstations as just plain numbers, then put the users name in the 'Computer description' field.

What I'd like is the ability to see this column in the ERAC.

6. AJStevens

AJStevens Registered Member

It's there, but by default it's either not enabled or on the far right, so whenever using an ERAC for the first time, or sometimes after an update, I have to drag all the columns back the way I like it.

Also noticed on version 4 clients, there's a "Custom info" that includes current/last logged on user, though this is at the end of a long string of computer info that should be broken up into seperate columns, current/last logged on user would be a very useful one.

7. tanstaafl

Hmmmm... I don't see it anywhere, and I did check to see if it was there and just not enabled...

Is it named something other than 'Computer Description'?

What version of the RAS/RAC are you using? I'm still waiting for 4.x to stabilize, so am still on 3.1.15...

Weird - I had added the 'custom Info' column to see if the description was in there, but that column is totally blank for all of my clients.

:(

8. tanstaafl

AJ? Could you respond? Is the 'Computer Description' field something new to the 4.x version of the RAC? Or should I be able to find this in the 3.1.15 version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.