computer keeps calling home to MS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i went to the V5 update page for the first time a couple of days ago. i downloaded a V5 activex control, and something else o_O . anyway, now my computer keeps trying to call home to a microsoft site, why is it doing this?, and should i let it? i dont want the update now. also when i checked automatic updates it had changed(see screenshot), none of the boxes were seleted so i seleted turn off updates, but it still calls home.

Attached Files:

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

this is where it wants to connect to- 207.46.253.221 did this happen to you? thanks :D

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might try blocking it in your firewall and see what happens? I disallow all microsoft call home tries from windows, and WMP.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i only seleted turn off updates today, and i havent rebooted, so if it continues after rebooting i'll try that and see. thanks bigc :)

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

May be Safe XP is a handy tool for you:

Safe XP allows users to quickly tweak various security and privacy related settings in XP. The options include Media Player settings, Services settings (error reporting, time synch, remote registry etc.), as well as and option to remove items from the Start menu, network security settings and more.
    Safe XP improves your system performance and makes Windows to run faster, more secure and reliable!
    It is suitable for beginners and experts!

More info and download (freeware) you will find here:

http://www.theorica.net/safexp.htm

Gerard

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, gerardwil :) . i have tried it, but it did something i didnt like, i have got xp-antispy(which was updated a few days ago) maybe ill download and see what has been updated and run that.

7. Brent

Brent Registered Member

What did it do that you didnt like?

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

207.46.253.221 resolves to v5stats.windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Ran some tests, and found that, even though Automatic Updates are turned off (the way you show above), the Automatic Updates service remains on automatic. Even after a reboot (see below). It looks like you have to set the service to manual startup to fully disable automatic updates. My firewall logged ICMP out to v5stats.windowsupdate.microsoft.com while the service was running.

Nick

Attached Files:

9. forgot my user name and password 5 times in a row, so...
    sorry i cant remember, it wasnt something serious, it just disabled something i wanted i could have configured it, but i just uninstalled; and i had everything disabled that needed to be disabled(i hope) anyway.
    thank you, nick :) ive set it to manual, that shouldnt happen should it?

10. nick s

nick s Registered Member

No. Seems like a bug, but probably a security feature.

Nick

11. Cyber Surfer

Cyber Surfer Registered Member

Actually, XP will always check for Critical Updates by calling home, even if the Automatic Updates is turned off. Automatic updates is now a download feature only. XP will always call home and notify you that there are critical updates, as part of it's new security features.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I give up! Take me Bill, I'm yours! :D :D

13. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

hmmm... I posted to this and then deleted my previous post because of a check I did.

Background: I have never had Automatic Updates on... I always DISABLED the service and have gone thru WU the normal way in IE.

The other day, when checking, I received notification about v5 needing to be installed, which I did, installed fine, and then it continued checking. I did not need any it said. [I do not have SP2 installed though].

Jump to present time: So upon reading this thread, where 'calls' were being made to MS, I stated just to DISABLE AU and do manual updates.

Well I just checked again after my initial post here, and lo and behold what do I get.... those MS &**^$# make you turn it ON... I've never previously had a problem, and even after initial v5 update, it worked the first time.

Soooooo... looks like I will now have to Start the service first, check, then disable it each time.

:mad:

TAS

edit: Damn... I missed reading the other TWO services I have turned off... It just gets worse. so I have to enable THREE services.... looks like I may have to reconsider my options in Services after all. *mutters vehemently under breath*

Attached Files:

• 068.GIF
      068.GIF
      File size:
      13.7 KB
      Views:
  14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It's no use Tassie. The jig is up. Bill is in total control. :D :D

15. nick s

nick s Registered Member

For me, on SP2, you have to start it and set it to automatic to get Windows Update to work. Otherwise I get the same error. But I left BITS set to manual and was still able to install an update for my network card. BITS never started during the update.

Nick

16. dog

dog Guest

LOL ... totally OT and I don't mean to detract from the thread but we could use a laugh ... ;) :D

M$ must have learned something from CWS. LOL We'll have to post this on the wire ...

New CWS Spyware Variant - CWS.M$Update.V5

dog - *puppy* :ninja: :blink:

17. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

OK.. did a test... my BITS were on manual like yours Nick ;) and my Event Log was Started and set to Automatic anyway [it was error log reporting I had turned off]..

Anyhow, it worked, with only having to Start AU and make it Automatic during the check, and after I turned it off.

Also, this time, it reported that SP2 was available to me, and no other Critical Updates were needed. :)

From now on, it's easy enough to Start/Automatic AU and Disable after.

Cheers, TAS

PS: :D @ dog.... that would go down well... :blink:

Attached Files:

• 069.GIF
      069.GIF
      File size:
      24.5 KB
      Views:
  18. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

BILL GATES ET PHONE HOME!!! LOL couldnt resist :D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.