Computer help please....

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Hezakiah, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hezakiah

Hezakiah Registered Member

On my desktop computer, I have had Windows 8 installed for a few weeks, but decided to return
    to Win 7. So with Win 8 there is a place that says something about doing a either Refresh your computer and keep your files, and there is one to do a total re-install of the system. Well I did the "Total Re-install like it came from the factory". I'm paraphrasing of course but it's something like that. Anyway It did it's job. There is nothing left on the computer which is fine, but when I try to install Win 7, Win 8, and even Win Vista, I just get a message "An operating System wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system". I sure hope somebody can help me.

2. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  3. philby

philby Registered Member

...when I try to install Win 7, Win 8, and even Win Vista...

Aren't you partitioning / formatting during the install process using your media?

4. Hezakiah

All I have done was insert the disk for the OS and in the past it would just ask me about installing. This time it won't do that. I'm not that great with computers, so I have no clue about what happened. I thought I just formatted the computer like I have hundreds of times in the past. :doubt:

5. philby

philby Registered Member

When you try to install Vista or 7, are you using a DVD? If so, you may have omitted setting the BIOS to see the optical drive before the HDD...

Tapping one of the F keys repeatedly during boot will take you to the BIOS (try F2) or the boot menu (try F12). Then either move your optical drive up to 1st place in boot section of BIOS or boot menu respectively. Restart the machine with the DVD inserted and press any key to boot from it if prompted on screen during start up.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  6. Hezakiah

Yes I'm using the original OS disks. I have even tried the Recovery disk (Vista) that came with the computer. And like I said, I also have tried Win7, and the Win 8 that I just bought a couple of weeks ago and still nothing works. I'm really confused. o_O

7. philby

philby Registered Member

OK, but did you see my last post (#5)?

You won't be able to format and install if the machine isn't booting correctly from the DVD! That's when you'll get the 'No operating system found' message when the machine finds nothing on your HDD.

You need to set the BIOS to see the optical drive first, as per my last post...

8. Hezakiah

Ok Philby, i'll give it a try.

9. philby

philby Registered Member

Good luck!
    If BIOS isn't accessed by tapping F2, try tapping Delete instead...
    You may also have an on-screen prompt when you start the machine, telling you which key to tap for 'set up' (BIOS) or 'Boot Menu', though this may be too fast to catch...

Once you're into the BIOS, you're looking for Boot > Boot Order, or words to that effect. Don't tinker with anything else... :)

10. Hezakiah

Wow, that worked Philby! Windows 7 is installing right now. Thanks very much for the help.
    That's what I like about Wilders, there's always someone that can help if a problem comes up. :thumb: :thumb:

11. philby

philby Registered Member

:cool: Glad you're sorted.

12. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

good call philby, yaaa a prepossess of emanation starting with the simplest things first... :thumb:

13. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

after setting bios to boot form cd/dvd 1st then hardisk

one more thing i like to add when you install windows form cd/dvd you need to tap any key or else it run default form hardisk

ie you see ......... (dots) and you need to tap any key of keyboard to boot form dvd and start installer or else it take default boot as boot form hardisk not DVD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.