Computer "hanging"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Doubleyoujay, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doubleyoujay

Doubleyoujay Registered Member

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. When I initially go onto the Internet after starting up the computer, the computer freezes and I have to reset it. When I next go onto the Internet it works perfectly with no freezing. It works perfectly each and every time after this initial reset until the next time that the computer is booted up from off. This happens every single time that I go onto the Internet for the first time after booting up the computer.

I am running XP Home and Kaspersky Internet Security:

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi WJay,

Desktop or laptop? Does 'initially' mean an "alway's on" connection or are you running dial-up? Reset refer's to power button or reboot? Regardless the answer's here, the forum will still require more info. What exactly, I'm unsure.

Have you tried logging boot?

GF

3. Doubleyoujay

The computer is a Desktop. By "initially" I mean when I actually turn on the computer and go to the Internet. When I say "reset" I mean having to push the "reset" button as the only option of getting out of the "hanging" computer.

I have never hear of "logging boot"........what is that please?

Thanks for your assistance.
    Billy

4. GlobalForce

Boot logging is available from safe-mode, continually tapping f8 after hitting the power switch. From there select 'enable boot logging.' In turn, this action save's to file a copy of the event's during boot in your windows directory; ntbtlog.txt

What I see from reviewing your posting history are continual problem's with either boot or shutdown, yet none have pushed for a detailed computer report. Unless you receive additional input, patience while a game-plan is formulated.

GF

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  5. GlobalForce

Clarify please; high speed connection or dial-up? You run isp soft?

GF

6. Doubleyoujay

High speed broadband

7. GlobalForce

OK, high speed. Is it "alway's on" or, does the computer boot clean and then crash after trying to activate some type of ISP software? Are you able to bring up taskmanager during the hang? What else is connected beside's the monitor? Try to answer all question's.

GF

8. Doubleyoujay

Thanks GF. Computer boots up every time perfectly and will run all day without any problems. When I use the Internet for the first time it will hang after about 15-30 seconds every single time. There is a router and a printer attached to the computer. I am unable to bring up the Task manager when it hangs and the only option that I am left with is to reset it from the reset button. After this reset it works on the Internet perfectly for the rest of the day.

Billy

9. GlobalForce

Sure Billy. Now a few more question's please. How old would you say is your current install? Have you experienced these bsod's since removing Sygate and installing Kaspersky? If you haven't installed fresh since running Sygate, may I ask how it was uninstalled, and if any additional step's were taken to clean up? Do you still run vnc? And again, you connect with or without isp software? Using one browser or several? I take both the router and printer utilize driver's of their own?

Say Billy, this keyboard .... ps/2 or usb? Original or replacement? You have access to an extra one you could swap in for comparison? Finally check your win directory for a minidump folder, it may be housing a crashdump file.

Let me know if somewhere in this mix you run standby or hibernate.
    PS - I've attached a simplified question text for answering. Rt clk, save target as.

GF

Attached Files:

• q-a.txt
      File size:
      921 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  10. Doubleyoujay

Thanks again GF. XP was reinstalled less than 2 yrs ago. I have been getting these faults since installing Kaspersky and PC Pitstop. Sygate has been uninstalled since XP was last reinstalled. It was uninstalled using the Add/Remove option. I connect with Internet Explorer and Firefox using their software. Router and printer, I think, use their own drivers. Keyboard is the original supplied with the computer about 5 ish years ago. Not got a spare keyboard but I could obviously buy one if it could be my problem. It is not a Usb keyboard. I will have a look into the win directory but I am not too sure what I am looking for o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O?? If I try to get the comp into standby or hibernate it freezes every time and has to be reset using the reset button. I have found a dump index file in Windows and it contains 1 file of 1Kb...........Is this what I was looking for?

Billy

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  11. GlobalForce

Hi Billy,

You'd know if there's a dump file if you were to copy, then paste the following line into your runbox.

%systemroot%\minidump - No file? Not to worry.

Copy and paste this next line Billy, again in your runbox. I'd like to get a look at something.

regedit /e %systemdrive%\crashcontrol.txt hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\crashcontrol

Then into run just a backslash and OK: \
    This open's your systemdrive folder where you'll find our file, crashcontrol.txt

Follow the second set of direction's here to upload.

Edit: Your setting's were close Billy. Disabled autoreboot should show "zero" if properly adjusted.

GF

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  12. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Uninstall Kaspersky theres some versions causing big slowdown and lockup on startup. The computer could even be overheating due to fan stopping and causing a lock up. Get startup monitor list software and check your startup and try removing programs. Get hold of spyware killer program like spybot and superantispyware which are free.

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/~merijn/programs.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.