Computer freezes when inactive

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by phduffey, Apr 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phduffey

phduffey Registered Member

Since installing Process Guard Free on Windows XP Home Ed. computer, when the computer is left for some time, the screen freezes at the screensaver and the Icons on the Desktop and the toolbar below disappear. I cannot bring the computer back to function with moving the ,mouse, pushing Enter, or Escape. Is there a way to fix this, or do I need to uninstall Process Guard?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi phduffey, This is probably the screensaver being blocked by Process Guard
    The screen saver file to add to the Prodram checksum list will probably be:
    c:\windows\system32\scrnsave.scr.
    Normally you would get the secure desktop window with the Allow, Allow once Block, Block always request. Possibly you were away from the machine when this occurred.

You can invoke the screensaver manually by:
    Right clicking on your desktop - Properties - Screensaver tab Then preview. This should cause the secure desktop to open and you can then allow it.

HTH Pilli

3. Mike _ZZ

Mike _ZZ Guest

hi pduffy -
    nothing so drastic as uninstalling I reckon!
    This happened on my XP machine as well - just make sure userinit.exe is 'known about ' in PG checksums page.

Issue for me wasn't at sc (but good advice from Pilli and definitely something to do) - but AFTERWARDS (eg; when powersaving mode). On 'waking' the PC - I'd have a frozen pic - no icons, no PG question, no toolbar -nothing - I'd have to power off and restart.

Got round it by closing all active progs, enable learning mode--> wait 15 mins --> go back to PG --> disable learning mode. PG will now have accounted for
    c:\windows\system32\logonui.exe.

This is the 'Welcome' screen that you get for user accounts. My guess is that PG wants to have authorisation for this process - but XP won't do anything until you've logged in - catch 22!

I've already typed this in once - tried to preview - lost it all so trying now again a 2nd time!

Regards
    Mike

PS: It'd be a good idea to test your UPS interfaces now as well if you have any!

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

That is a good post Mike, spot on! :)

-Jason-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.