Computer freezes when backing up

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Measure1, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Measure1

Measure1 Registered Member

I am using an old version of true image , version 8.0.

It has always worked fine. I did have to do a retore 2 months ago.

When I try to back up to 2 different external drives, the computer locks up. I have to unplug it to get it working. This is happening to both drives, so I know that it is not the drives. It seems to happen around 30 minutes in to the back up. Also, the computer goes into screen saver mode, but it always did this.
    I did use the fix utilty, but it is still locking up. I am using Windows XP with serivice pack 2.

Any suggestions?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If it used to work and now it doesn't then something has changed causing TI to get upset but you likely knew that.

What do you mean by the "fix utility"?

Does the problem happen if you do the backup with the TI rescue CD version? If not, then there is some new Windows software/update that may be the culprit.

If the rescue CD fails then it is more likely a hardware issue. Run chkdsk X: /r on all your partitions. Replace the X in the command with the drive letter of the partition being tested. A screwed up disk structure is known to cause TI failures although it is fairly tolerant of problems.

Could possibly be a memory problem. Download free Memtest86+, available at www.memtest.org and let it run for at least several passes, preferably overnight.

3. Measure1

I went to reinstall it, a window poped up and said something like fix it.

I using a 6 year old computer. I am trying to hang on untill the new version of windows comes out.

I wonder if it has something to do with the windows updates.

I will try the memory test.

Thanks for your reply.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Measure1,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

If the issue persists, please download the SnapAPI archive file from here, install it, reboot the computer and see if the issue remains.

Thank you.

--

Oleg Lee

5. chunk909

chunk909 Registered Member

I have the same problem as user "Measure1".
    I just followed your instructions re the SnapAPI file but, unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem.

P.S.: I am using True Image v10. The computer freeze always happens at about 20% of the backup done.
    I have Windows XP with SP3.
    Also, I am doing the regular Windows updates. My last working TI backup happened in early January 2009. I am also suspecting a Windows update to be the cause of the problem.

6. Measure1

My last backup was in the middle of Dec. It locks up he computer when it is around 18%.

It's funny that you have the same problem.

Acronis support:

If I buy the new version , do you think it will solve the problem. Also, will it work with the new verison of Windows. I am looking to get a new conmputer when the new windows comes out.

7. Measure1

I just installed the driver from Acronis support. I was able to do a complete backup. I hope that the problem is solved.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Measure1,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

You can download free trial version of Acronis True Image Home 2009 and test it. If it resolve the issue you may purchase upgrade just for $29.99 instead of full price.

Acronis True Image Home 2009 trial version has the following limitations:

- Windows: all functions available; 15-days trial period;
    - Bootable media: Recovery feature available only

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

9. Measure1

The same problem started again. I installed the above path right before I did the backup. It went to around 90% and then the computer went into sleep mode and did not come out of it. I had to shut off the power to restart

10. Measure1

In the web site I found the solution. When doing the backup, set the compression level to none. I have an old computer and I was able to backup again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.