CompTIA Security+ Exam -- Anyone here taken it?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Hungry Man, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I've been studying for it on and off. Nearly ready to take it. Anyone on here taken it/ have advice?

2. hpmnick

hpmnick Registered Member

I'm under NDA regarding it, so I can't speak of the material on the test, but I suppose I can tell you that I've read several of the review books by the major publishers. I enjoyed reading the All in one book by Gregory White. He is clear and concise, and I think the book is a good read for anyone looking to get into the security field.

3. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

i think there are companies selling exam Tests

as i remember it's actual test or something

4. hpmnick

I've reviewed that material, and I can assure you that a good portion of the answers in there are wrong. It is also against the rules to use such material (braindumps, etc)...

5. Hungry Man

I'm using the David L Prowse book as well as the CBT Nugget videos. From teh practice tests I've taken I could pass but I'd like to get a better score.

6. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

i didn't understand what is wrong

In the video tutorail For A+ the lecturer said about those companies

and it's not a hacked test or something
    and i didn't tell you to just study those questions

but it a great to test how is your studying process going

as i remember the Tutorial i got for A+ came with a questions and labs to
    test you and how much did you understand from the lesson

if i did anything wrong i'm sorry i just was trying to help

7. hpmnick

Often, these braindump sites like the one you mentioned are almost exact duplicates of test questions. Many of the answers are wrong, but just seeing the questions is a huge (and unfair) advantage. You mentioned one site, but there are a lot more - I won't name them. Not sure who told you to go there, but it certainly wasn't COMPTIA.

I understand that you may not have done this intentionally... most people don't know or fail to understand their practice tests are not "legal"... but a site that says on its front page that it has the actual questions and answers to an exam should definitely raise a red flag.

I don't doubt that they are helpful, but it is something that is clearly not allowed.

8. hpmnick

To make sure all your bases are covered, I would download the exam objectives and make sure that there aren't any holes in your studying. People typically assume that their review book covers all the objectives, but you'll often find that there are holes in some of them. The objectives are broken down really well, and the weighting will let you know how much each section is worth. When making the test, test questions are completely based off of the objectives, so you typically won't find any surprises regarding material.

9. Hungry Man

Thanks for the tip.

10. lunarlander

lunarlander Registered Member

Has anyone found a job after taking the test ?

11. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

i apologies again i didn't know that it's illegal :doubt:

12. hpmnick

You don't have to apologize.. I was just trying to avoid a situation where someone accidentally breaks the rules without intent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.