Compromising Macs with simple Gatekeeper bypass

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Oct 1, 2015.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=18919

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

How malware developers could bypass Mac’s Gatekeeper without really trying
    http://arstechnica.com/security/201...bypass-macs-gatekeeper-without-really-trying/

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

This is huge news for me, I didn't know it was so easy.

For what I see, GateKeeper works in a similar way of UAC: Once UAC pops and the user allows the program to elevate priviledges, it can run other programs with elevated pribiledges without UAC popping agian. This can be reproduced by downloaded MSI After burner. Upon executing it, UAC will pop (if it's set to do so). Then this installer will execute RivaTunner's installer, but since the first installer already got clearance, the second installer won't need them. In this case, however, the second installer is in the same .exe as the first installer (IIRC), but I assume the same behavior could be seen if the second installer was outside the first .exe.

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I don't use Mac but I guess that it could be compared. From article it seems that trusted files are used in this attacks. I don't know if user is presented with popup for those files. Maybe Apple auto allows those files?

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I don't use Mac either :p My comparison was about how the first executable has to get clearance, but the second one doesn't.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.