Completely Hiding a Device Behind a Router?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Brent Hutto, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Registered Member

Our household wireless network is provided by a Linksys WRT54G. Just two laptops, a laser printer and a network-attached drive I use for backups. I have UPnP disabled at the router and can not connect to the NAS device from the outside Internet, which is exactly what I want. That device is just for backing up our two laptops and I don't want anyone to be able to access it.

Can someone point to a tool or methodology for testing to make sure there are no ports (or whatever) open to that device from the big, bad world out there? And I'd welcome any suggestions for additional filters or settings I should use on the WRT54G to lock down that device completely Internet-wise while keeping it visible to our internal wireless network?

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Nmap Online
    http://nmap-online.com/

PS: Given that you want to Nmap your real IP, and not the IP of any proxy that you may use, access Nmap Online directly, not through a proxy.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.