Compatible with "Hard drive password"?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by a_rabbit, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a_rabbit

a_rabbit Registered Member

Hi folks,

I have a Dell Latitude D610 notebook for work. I notice there is a BIOS setting for "Hard drive password". After setting it, now every time I reboot, the notebook will prompt me for this password before loading the OS. I understand that even if I remove the hard drive from the notebook and put it in an external enclosure, the contents will not be accessible. (DriveSavers can bypass this, probably Dell, too.)

My question: Is Acronis True Image compatible with the "Hard drive password" feature?

I did download the spec sheet for the 7K100 Hitachi TravelStar drive (a really new one), and there's lots of stuff about setting/clearing/changing a password that appears to be stored on the drive!

Thanks!

a_rabbit

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

ATA passwords are done at a completely different level than what the software operates at. TrueImage should have no idea whether an ATA password is used or not.

In other words, yes, True Image is compatible with a "hard drive password".

3. a_rabbit

a_rabbit Registered Member

Thanks! It looks like I found out my new security mechanism: Dell Latitude "hard drive password" combined with daily password-protected Acronis True Image backups.

I did a google search for ways to hack the "hard drive password" feature, and there were no easy ways. The "paperclip method" only clears the passwords stored on the motherboard, and the key generator only works for Dell Latitudes with earlier service tags.

I think Thinkpads also support the hard drive password feature.

a_rabbit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.