Compatibility On Vista - When Not Used On Vista Partition?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Cyan, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cyan

Cyan Registered Member

Hi,

I need to use Disk Director, seeing as Vista's disk management doesn't seem to be working. All I need to do is create a NTFS partition out of the free space of a hard drive that Vista isn't installed on. I've heard rumors that any actions taken by disk Director under Vista can cause problems - is this true?

Thanks.

2. chadmayer

chadmayer Registered Member

You can use Vista's built-in partitioning utility to do that. You can even do it from the installation DVD before Vista is installed. I wouldn't use DDS 10 for anything in Vista until we get a patch or a new version.

3. Cyan

Cyan Registered Member

Ah, I forgot to mention, Vista's disk management utility doesn't work. When I click to create a NTFS partition, it says:

"The operation failed to complete because the disk management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer"

Needless to say, restarting Disk Management or the computer doesn't work.

So I seemingly have no way to get this partition created without Disk Director.

4. Lowtrawler

Lowtrawler Registered Member

Can't really say what the impact of your proposed action would be. I have had DDS installed under XP with Vista installed on a seperate partition of the same hard drive. Under this scenario, any action of DDS had a tendancy to corrupt the Vista install.

I would be reluctant to install DDS onto Vista (although it is possible and I have done this) even if it is to then perform an action on a completely seperate drive. You may get lucky but you won't know for sure until several days later (the Vista corruption does not take hold immediately). I have not found a Vista compatible partitioning utility available in the marketplace. One option maybe to put a bootable linux distro onto a USB drive and run a linux partitioning utility with ntfs support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.