Compatibility between Acronis True Image and Norton Ghost?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by emailfetch, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emailfetch

emailfetch Registered Member

Can "Acronis True Image 11 Home" and "Norton Ghost 14" be installed on the same computer without interfering with each other? Both of them are well recognized backup software products. I would never attempt to use both of them at the same time. However, can they interfere with each other even if only one product is used at any given time? For example, if they are both installed on the same computer, and I run Ghost without running Acronis, then can Acronis still interfere with the operation of Ghost? I am using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2.
    There was a software review written by Edward Mendelson, a contributing editor in PC Magazine on February 12, 2008, entitled "Drive-Imaging: Beyond Backup". In that review, he wrote:
    "One important word of warning before you try out these products:
    Never install more than one on your system at the same time. These
    utilities use low-level disk-access features built into Windows, and
    if you have two simultaneously installed - even if only one is running
    - one or both won't work. If you decide to try out more than one, be
    sure to completely uninstall the first and restart your system before
    installing the next."
    Does anyone have experience with multiple backup software products on the same computer?

2. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Out of curiosity, why do you want to have the 2 programs installed, and not just one?

3. emailfetch

emailfetch Registered Member

Question asked:
    "Out of curiosity, why do you want to have the 2 programs installed, and not just one?"

Answer:
    I am already very familiar with Norton Ghost, but Acronis True Image may have complementary features that warrant using both backup programs. Two safety nets are safer than one safety net.
    I was able to purchase Acronis True Image with rebates that refund all of the cost except taxes, which makes the purchase attractive.
    I need to test Acronis True Image before committing to using it permanently, and it would be easier for me to test Acronis True Image alongside Norton Ghost, without having to undergo the trouble of first removing Norton Ghost for the sole purpose of testing Acronis True Image.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

A possible solution :
    1. Do NOT install Acronis and Norton under Windows or install only one of them under Windows.
    2. Use the Recovery CD of Acronis and the Recovery CD of Norton to test both softwares.

It's an "Egg of Columbus" solution, but it should work properly without compatibility problems.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  5. presrc

presrc Registered Member

You can't make an image from the Norton CD

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

In that case, I don't want Norton. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.